Update on my boy (awful night)

Louby

Visit site
Been to Leahurst today to see my boy and his latest xrays as it was D day. Was told the results could go either way.
Good news, thank god. His radius is fractured but he can come home on Monday as they are really pleased with his progress. His cuts have healed but I forgot to ask about the removal of the chips of bone, stupid me!!
They are going to splint his leg for travelling and my poor boy will then need another month of being cross tied, then a month of 'normal' box rest, then we can attempt to walk him out with ACP's. They told me that providing he has an uneventful recovery he has a good prognosis for returning to normal work. Im so relieved.
Thanks everyone for all your well wishes.

Jo, really nice to finally meet you, sorry if I came across as a total stress head, I was!!! Hope you made it home ok.
Thanks for visiting my boy on your trips to Leahurst.
Louise x

frannieuk

Visit site
Really pleased to here that the prognosis is good, was wondering how he was. Poor fellow though, can't imagine being crosstied for a month will be pleasant
frown.gif

Louby

Visit site
I know its going to be awful.. Hes fully weight bearing and can walk on it which makes it harder as he is fully mobile.
Going to buy some stable toys this weekend to try and relieve some of the boredom. Even worse is his stable, well all of the stables overlook the field his friends are in.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Super news! He'll need his mum to cheer him up but think of all the bonding you can do. Get him a radio and some toys and the job's a good un. At least it's grotty weather, so he's not watching his mates sunning themselves! Honestly, in a few weeks he'll be well on the mend. Looks like he had a lucky escape. I'm so pleased for you both.

Louby

Visit site
Im not sure, think it will depend on how well behaved he is. Hes not sedated at the moment and is being well behaved.
They just said when its time to walk him, give him ACP's. Think its to protect his leg if hes full of it.

Louby

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
Bonding..... Hes usually a right grump. Been on his best behaviour whilst at Leahurst though. LOL Seen the old him come through on occasion though! They have been superb at Leahurst, he is gleaming. Quite embarrassed really as he was a real greasy boy when he went there! I do groom him honest LOL

S_N

Visit site
Oh that's super news!!! Thinking of stable toys, have you seen the haynet decorated with carrots that Coppertop posted pics of? You could add apples and parsnips and sweede to the mix too!! Huggles to you both hun!!

archoak

Visit site
I read ages ago that horses love watermelons, they push them around like swedes apparently. Obviously no good while he is cross-tied though, hope he continues to do well
smile.gif

claire1976

Visit site
Glad he's going to be OK. How vets treatment has moved on hey - I knew a horse who had a radius fracture 6 years ago and it was instant PTS. Things are so much more positive for injured horses these days.
My mare had almost 3 months of box rest over spring/summer and it was awful for me but she actually coped really well. Lots of food type treats will help and I used to take her handfuls of dandelion leaves which she loved. But also she enjoyed me being there grooming and talking to her just to break her day up.

barkinghorse

Visit site
Hi Louise,
You didn't come over a stress head at all!!
Just a mummy worried for her boy!
He's such a sweetie, seemed very calm every time i saw him and was happy watching all that was going on.
So glad you can take him home and it was great to finally meet you.
Took hours to get home, poor horse was very unbalanced and didn't go over 40mph so had a few pi***d off lorries up my bum!
Felt really sorry for the owners, they love the horse to bits Aand wouldn't dream of having him PTS, i only hope they can deal with watching him like that.
Anyway, hope to see you soon, maybe we will get to some shows later on next year!
Jo x