Update on my horse - we finally found his problem!

rachk89

Visit site
Another update. :)

Got the all clear from the vet. No signs of pain or tenderness along his back, even on the right side or behind the saddle area. She was very pleased. Been told to up his work load (slowly), increase canter work and get him working long and low.

However, he decided to get into a fight with another horse and has been kicked. Vet has seen it, nothing traumatic, but he's on danilon for a few days and no work.

Its typical, I get the full, all clear, yay his back is finally fine, go to work signal, and he gets himself kicked. Silly horses. :)

rachk89

Visit site
He heard you say it ;)

Lol nah, my YO thinks he is a hypochondriac so was probably feeling too ok and thought 'i'll go get myself kicked then i get more medication'. :p It was pouring down today and will tomorrow so I dont feel like I'm missing out, but still annoying. Guess this is what people mean about warmbloods. :p

rachk89

Visit site
Yes it definitely is Elsbells.

He has been working great recently. Got him doing shoulder in and leg yield properly on both reins in walk and trot. Trot is a bit sticky for shoulder in at times, some days it's good some days it isn't. Getting better though so he is getting better.

I tried teaching him half pass the other day and he did it correct the first time, then got confused about what he just did and struggled. Typical :p I've taught him pirouette in walk too after turn on the haunches which he does better to the right than the left. He had a tantrum that day though for the half pass as after he got confused, he got panicky, so I just got off and lunged him in trot and canter and left it there. No point arguing with the confused and panicked horse, it gets you nowhere. Can always try again another day. :)

Best thing is though my boyfriend has actually started learning to ride on the previously downed and called dangerous horse. He's getting on brilliantly too, to be fair he can't trot on him as he nearly falls off, but my horse has a very bouncy trot and the bf doesn't know how to do rising trot so going to get him some lessons to learn trot and canter on an easier horse. He handles him well though and just likes to get on and walk around the school, doing circles and attempting leg yield/shoulder in but doesn't always give the correct aids which leaves my poor horse looking at me confused. I actually get told now by the bf that it's "his turn to ride" so guess we will be looking at getting him a horse in the future once he can trot and canter well so I can have my horse back. :p