Update on my old boy

JGKJ

Visit site
Hello. I posted a few weeks ago about my old boy and him having major balance problems see this thread http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1572146/an/0/page/1#1572146

Anyway just thought id give you an update. He's slowly started to improve the last few weeks and can now turn and scratch without losing his balance, and i even saw him shake his head a little, and he didnt lose his balance at all, a major improvement!!

The vet was out tuesday and yesterday to do the cushings test and he said he thought he looked much better than last time he saw him, although annoyingly there still seems to be no explanation as to whats been wrong with him! Anyway, vet just phoned he has got cushings so he's starting the (very expensive) treatment for that now. Still want to know what has been going on with him but no-one seems to have a clue! I still think that hes got the balance issue a bit but i havnt walked him out so havnt been able to see properly, i will in the next few days though, and fingers crossed he wont fall over!!

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Pleased your old boy is beginning to show some improvement. Sorry to hear he has cushings, having just lost my mare who was diagnosed with Cushings over 4 years ago i know exactly what you are going through, but it is just a case of trial and error with it and each case is so individual. I found it a relief when Misty was diagnosed as at least we could begin to get our head around it all and gain some understanding of what she was suffering from.

Good luck for when you walk him out in the next couple of days!!

catembi

Visit site
Hi there,

Not sure if it helps, but my old girl (bought by my farmer grandfather from the farmer next door in 1976 for £200!!), has had Cushings since she was 26/27 & she's 34 now. Over xmas, her helper hacked her out & got run off with!!

Some ponies seem to cope with it better than others, & Jenny's undaunted by it, so don't think of it as a life sentence...

JGKJ

Visit site
Hi all,

Thankyou so much for your replies, its really kind.

Catembi, your pony sounds just like Kelly! I only stopped riding him in the summer just cus it was so hot, but he is so lively he has this amazing air trot and holds his head beautifully on his own, theres certainly alot of life in the old dog yet and i dont think hes ready to give up, like youre pony too by the sounds of it!!hehe

I was just wondering, to anyone who has or has had cushings horses, the tumour itself i have read will ''eventually affect they're quality of life and therefore euthanasia will be the kindest option'' does anyone know how this is or what sort of things will start to show up? Although the vet hasnt mentioned it, im slightly concerned that it is the tumour that is starting to affect his balance, even though his balance issue has improved immensley, i feel its still there and is going to be an issue.

Also, forgot to say before, Kelly isnt actually owned by me, i have loaned him for 2&1/2 years now from people we know, i took him on because he was in a poor state and i really wanted him to have a good home as i also took on a 20 something horse who was at deaths door 6 years ago and hes going stronger than ever now! His owners dont really come and see him, but we send them bills for some of his stuff, so hopefully they will be paying for alot of his Cushing's treatment (sigh of relief!) I will try and post some pictures for you to see!

catembi

Visit site
Hello,

So far, my old mare's symptoms are as follows: loss of muscle mass, very long, thick coat which she doesn't shed (we have her clipped in spring as soon as my other horse has finished moulting), thirstier than usual, weeing more than usual, compulsively greedy. So far (touch wood x 100) no sign of laminitis. I asked the vet about her & he said that while she's cheerful & not being troubled with laminitis, we shouldn't treat the Cushings ie don't start trying to fix what ain't broke in case it breaks...

I haven't noticed any balance / neurological issues - she can still scratch her head with her back foot - altho I have to keep her away from my gelding when he's eating as she will compulsively go after his food even tho she knows that's a very bad idea...

I think they're all different & you just have to play it by ear.

JGKJ

Visit site
Hi. Apart from the long coat, Kelly hasnt really had any other classic symptons of cushings, though obviously he has got it! He's had a long coat since i got him and so we clip him in the spring, but ive never really suspected he had cushings until now.

He has never drunk excessively, not weeing more than my other horse, hasnt had laminitis (touch wood), its only the long coat and the dropped belly that was making me think he had cushings.

He is on Pergolide now so ill have to wait and see how he does!

Eaglestone

Visit site
Has your Vet checked that it is not Laminitis??
In October 2005 I took my my old boy (24 then) out for a long 3 hour hack on the Sunday (this was the norm) and then decided on the Tuesday to just do a 'quick one round the block hack' as we would run out of light and on the way back down the drive we had the best ever balance calm trot we have ever had (and can remember it as if it had just happened). I then tied him up for his tea and and just as I was turning him to take him to his field he nearly fell over! I wondered what was the matter but he then seemed ok again so out he went! In the morning he walked over to greet me at the gate and once I got him on the drive he was lame. I called the Vet (not my usual one as she was already booked up) and he could not find anything really wrong even though he had trouble turning. He did the 'pinch' test on his feet but he did not flinch ... as I had suggested Laminitis, although he had never had it before in his life. As a precaution he suggested box rest and bute.
After a few days and even my Farrier doing a pinch test I decided I would demand to see my usaul Vet who knew my horse better. When she had barely looked at him and correctly diagnosed Cushings induced Laminitis.
We then had the long long long battle which started with 5 months box rest and thats a whole tale in itself!
15 months later he is doing really well and we have so far managed to keep the Laminitis at bay and he is being ridden quietly again (well as much as a Welsh x Hackney will allow) (finger and everything else crossed and touching wood!)
So all I am saying is horses are very good at hiding their pain and the Vets do not always get the diagnosis on the first visit and if you have not already got a second opinion perhaps it may be a good idea.

If I can help with any other info on this subject I will try and help.

Good Luck and I hope all goes well.

JGKJ

Visit site
Hi Eaglestone,

Thanks for your post. I dont think it will be laminitis with Kelly because he only loses his balance when he shakes his head, turns round to scratch etc, so i think his problems are something to do with his head. Saying that the farrier is coming out on Thursday so i will get him to check him over for it. Thanks so much for your post.