Update on my very ill laminitic mare due to foal july 26th

andreo

Visit site
Hi I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice regarding this post I did a week last Saturday. I think Sorenna has finally turned the corner and is looking a little brighter and has less pain. She has even started to eat again and loves the nettles someone suggested I feed her.
I felt the foal kick today so I have fingers crossed it will be o.k, but I do worry what effect all the bute and sedolin she has had to be on will have had on the foal - any ideas?
My vet is due back this week and we will x ray to see what has gone on in her feet, but the vet isn't convinced it was just laminitis. Fingers crossed everyone please x

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
Hi Caroline,

So glad to hear you're feeling more positive. I'm sure both your mare & foal with come through this ok and I think they are much tougher than we give them credit for, though that doesn't help us worrying sick about them. Am keeping everything crossed for the 3 of you. .

chevs

Visit site
Hi

Nice to hear that your mare has turned a corner. I'm sure the bute/sedalin will have no ill effects on foalie. My mare was also on anti- inflams prior to foaling and my filly is absolutely fine.

You may remember I told you about my mare who was in the same situation as yours. She spent a week down in the vet school having every bloodtest, x-ray, scan possible to try and find out why she took laminitis and it's all come back clear so they are definately saying hormonal.

I took her home on saturday, a 6 hour drive and she coped really well. She has heartbar shoes and styrapads on her feet. She is still on metacam and is on a sawdust bed for added comfort.

Her foal is 5 weeks old now and doing really well. Foal had to have an operation on her right fore at the vet school as her leg was growing too quickly on the inside causing her leg to turn out. She has bounced back so well, you'd never know she'd had anything done!!

As for my mare, time will tell. The rotation is very severe. I know in my heart that I've done everything possible for her and given her the best of treatment. Foal has to be in for the next 4 weeks to recover from surgery so that'll give mum another few weeks to stabilise, I hope. I just want them out in the field.

Keep us posted and best wishes

andreo

Visit site
Thanks Chevs for the post I am so glad your mare is now at home with you and at least has a chance, as you said you have done all you can. With regards to your foal I am sure she will be up and running about causing havoc in no time. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and will keep you posted about Sorenna. hopefuly the x rays will give us an idea for what we have ahead of us to face.x P.S has your foal gota name yet?

chevs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Chevs for the post I am so glad your mare is now at home with you and at least has a chance, as you said you have done all you can. With regards to your foal I am sure she will be up and running about causing havoc in no time. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and will keep you posted about Sorenna. hopefuly the x rays will give us an idea for what we have ahead of us to face.x P.S has your foal gota name yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I named my filly Leila which means night beauty. I searched for ages to find one appropriate to her.

Foal is already causing havoc, as soon as she was round from anaesthetic she was bouncing around as normal. You wouldn't know she's got a screw in her leg, and thankfully the whole experience hasn't made her nervy or suspicious, she's the same as when she went.

Keep me posted