Update on Neglected horses

Cluny

Firstly thank you so much to those of you have offered stables, support and advice, it is much much appreciated. I thought I'd better come on here and give you an update.

The ILPH were absolutely great and they visited the farm only a few hours after I reported the case, the ILPH officer out in turn brought an RSPCA officer, but the farmers wife would not let them onto the property. The farmer did call out the vet (same one that I use) so the ILPH have to abide by what the vet says and can do nothing so far.

It's all a bit confusing though because I had a call from the who invited me onto the farm in the first place and who does seem to be clueless as she thought I'd like an update on the vet visit, I have to say she must have had a rose pink glasses on if she was present for the vet (I don't know if she was):

The mare who was a body condition score of 0 and who the farmer had been told to PTS and who had a very thin foal at foot (5 months old), and who could not bare any weight at all on the bad leg, apparently only has a boxy foot which can be cured with remedial trimming and who's weight isn't too bad!

The 0 body condition score 3 year old mare who was covered in rain scald scabs from shoulder to tail and who we clipped back the fur on her back and removed the scabs which had pus underneath and bathed with warm salt water, and who has a calcification under her point of hip, only needed a vit and min shot and an antibiotic shot and we shouldn't have clipped the coat back. Oh and feeding her conditioning mix was just fine!!!!!!!

I then called the vet on his mobile to see what happened. He told me that he could not discuss the case, but that he would be reporting back to the ILPH and that there were issues and changes would happen very slowly!!!!!

I then got a call from the ILPH field officer who said that he could not do anything as a vet was involved, I was soooo frustrated, so I asked him to please keep this case on his radar and not forget about it.

I'm now going to write a letter to the practice head vet, (who is also my vet) listing all the issues at that farm and stress that something radical needs to be done.

I am so angry, the old farmer cannot cope at all with the number of horses he has, the horses he has are not being kept in conditions that are condusive to healthy animals (not even including the poor emaciated mares). Oh and he's not willing to stop breeding, I pity the 10 foals that are due this year.

Don't know what else to do!

Amymay

Keep reporting it - every day. Every case has to be investigated.

Go back yourself and take photographs.

Call Defra.

Call the Daily Mail.....

Ziggy_

I'm sorry I don't understand....... Can the ILPH now not do anything because the horses have been seen by a vet??!! Thats ridiculous!

Amymay

p.s

And regardless of what the vet may think (although I must admit to being rather confused on this one - ie attitude of the vet) the animal act allows the RSPCA to take action (I believe) without the vet!

Cluny

The ILPH field officer (Phil) told me that if a vet is in attendance there is nothing that they can do!!!! He did say however that 'watch this space' to see the outcome of the Spindles Farm case and the change in animal legislation.

I have to bear in mind that the report of the vets visit that I have been given, has been told to me by an unrealistic and unknowledgable individual, who has actually been at the farm for close on a month and saw fit to call the farrier out, but didn't bother with the vet, and was proud of herself (I'm fuming as you can imagine)!

Unfortunately I cannot get in to take photos as it is private land and the horses are right by the house, I wish I'd taken photos at the beginning though, but there was not chance as the farmer was there at all times.

Oh and I've been reprimanded by the girl who's helping up there as the farmer now does not want her there as he feels people are interfering!!!! However as she has sod all knowledge of basic welfare and nutrition (ie give a starving horse Conditioning mix) that's no bad thing!

Am so so angry!

wizzi901

Call the RSPCA now...I am not sure why you seem to be defending this "poor old chap", he has enough nounce to still breed for money and clearly doesnt give a monkey's about the welfare of these creatures. Not sure why you feel you owe anything to these people other than to get the horses sorted, regardless of whether the "neglect" or conditions are intentional or not. Imagine if it was a horse you actually knew or had owned, would you call RSPCA then?

Admittedly I hate the RSPCA and they are all about themselves and publicity, but ultimately they will remove the animals and dont need vet (who sounds like they are on a backhander!) say so.

Amymay

Ah, interesting. So essentially the new animal welfare act is not worth the paper it's written on.

Super!

Cluny

Winkfieldwintershare (that's a mouthful), the RSPCA were in attendance with the ILPH!

AmyMay - basically - yes!

black_horse

and thats the way the cookie crumbles!!!

i think this is awful that there seems to be a loop hole in the law! surely the ILPH can get a second vets opinion!!!

vet bias perhaps of the original vet?

Amymay

[ QUOTE ]
No, that's my next step!

[/ QUOTE ]

It would certainly be an interesting exercise. Good luck, let us know what happens.

Willow1306

How infuriating for you, and how sad for those animals. It's good to know that you've managed to get involved and are seeking ways to help them, even if those routes which are put in place to help don't seem to be able to!

A friend of mine has recently been involved in a horse neglect case (not her horses, somebody locals) and the RSPCA took away some of the horses, but not the others who weren't 'critical' yet. The RSPCA did not continue to check the remaining horses for several months and by the time they were called out again, the remaining horses had to be PTS. It simply isn't good enough!

Kenzo

Well I applaud you for determination and taking matters into your own hands, if there were more people will to stick there neck out like you hopefully there would be less horses out there suffering longer than they need to be when in situations like this.

I think its a case of rules and both parties vet and ILPH staying on the right side of the law if you know what I mean despite both parties knowing (or I least I hope so) that more needs to done and now!

Seems very strange, like my dad was telling me the other week, many years ago there was an RSPCA officer wandering around a county show in the horse box section where we were parked up next a lady and her daughter with there show pony, totally immaculate it was....like they are, anyways the girl perhaps in her inpatient mood gave the pony smack on the side with her show cane because it wouldn't stand still as she tried to mount...nothing drastic just one short smack, just to say come on now stand still kind of thing, as this officer walked by, he then approached the girl grabbed her arm and gave her a grilling and said he was going to report her for cruelty etc etc so my dad stepped in and said ''excuse me sir, take your hands of that child at once! have you nothing better to do than go around country shows reporting people with animals that you can clearly see are looked after and cared for in th best possible way, does this pony look neglected???!!!!, get yourself to Panel Horse Sales and go and look round all the poor creatures there with crippled feet, starving and are beating beaten around the faces by all the gympos etc, cos your wasting your time here!! Hence why my dad is not a lover of the RSPCA because he has got so many examples of when they don't act, leave it too late and then prosecute when its too dam late or prey on the wrong people.

I however am more understanding than my dad *rolls eyes* he's a grumpy old man now lol and nothing will change his mind, I do think in most cases they do a great job, but are held back by too many restrictions.

wizzi901

QR

If RSPCA where present, then either they dont think it is as serious as you portray....

Having an affair with the Vet....

Or clearly dont have a clue (whats new).

Only option, contact The Sun, they love a good animal story. Joking aside, if it really is as bad as you state and think, then get a newspaper in there, it always works quicker than any animal agency with all the red tape and politics.

Get a few newspapers up there, the farmer will be so keen for some peace he may actually do something constructive.

Cluny

Well I've just spoken to my local DEFRA office and they certainly seemed helpful. The are going to get their area vet to call me (lets hope it's not the original vet) so I can give him details, then he will visit the farm. I asked them what would happen if he would not be able to gain access and was told that they usually like to talk people round, however I have a feeling that this won't work.

I then said that would lead me back to square one, and is there anything else I could do? I was told that DEFRA would then take it from there and something would be done, so I very much hold out some hope now!

Please cross your fingers and toes!

Cluny

Winkfieldwintersher, the RSPCA cannot gain access to the property without police assistance, and I guess they will not call for that unless they evidence, at the moment, all they have is my word. (Bear in mind that the RSPCA knew about the goings on at Spindles Farm for quite a long time before they actually did anything). I can assure you though, these two mares were in appalling condition, I've owned horses all my life and have never seen such neglect.

nicnag

It does seem ridiculous the amount of hassle you have to go through to get things like this seen to! We had the SSPCA called out 3 time this summer to our yard as the starvation paddock for the lami ponies is beside a road and people kept reporting the ponies as having nothing to eat. I was amazed by the officer though as his understanding of laminitis was pretty limited and trying to explain the management system in place was to reduce the liklihood of lami was interesting to say the least. Fortunately our vet was on site at his 3rd visit and explained it was all in the ponies interest that they were kept on barer ground. We did move them to another paddock to avoid them being seen from the road. On the other hand a local woman was keeping 9 horses on less than an acre with no hay, empty water buckets and rugs hanging round their necks and NOTHING was done about that!

NeilM

[ QUOTE ]
I however am more understanding than my dad *rolls eyes* he's a grumpy old man now lol and nothing will change his mind, I do think in most cases they do a great job, but are held back by too many restrictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

All dad's are grumpy old men, it's our job

Cluny: I just wanted to add my voice to those who have already said well done, and to thank you for keeping us up to date.

JM07

blimey cluny..

and all i'm fretting about is taking a pony to Potters??!!

chin up..and keep going!!

Cluny

Thanks so much everyone, your support is much appreciated!

Oh JM07 my friend took her pony to Potters and was told when she got there that if she wanted she could have her pick of the horses in the paddock waiting to be PTS and buy anyone she wanted for £50 (so sad). Apparently they only used to 'do' horses on a Wednesday morning, but now due to demand, it's all day Wednesday. Still it's better than them ending up in a downward spiral and going through auction after auction and ending up on the meatwaggon to Italy.

nuffield

How increadably frustrating. I think the only thing you can do is follow the course of action you are already following and ring the RSPCA . Make a complaint, anon if need be, they will go out again to the farm. I've PM'd you Cluny.

bhpride

[ QUOTE ]
if she wanted she could have her pick of the horses in the paddock waiting to be PTS and buy anyone she wanted for £50 (so sad).

[/ QUOTE ]

Er? So owners could of sent a horse to be PTS but it would have been sold or given away? dodgy.

JM07

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if she wanted she could have her pick of the horses in the paddock waiting to be PTS and buy anyone she wanted for £50 (so sad).

[/ QUOTE ]

Er? So owners could of sent a horse to be PTS but it would have been sold or given away? dodgy.

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all...they go to markets, buy up the crap and then they are put into the fattening paddock

people who actually take their animals there ar asked to wait until the deed is done..so no, not dodgy at all...
thats how rumours start,

ann-jen

The trouble is that the farmer called the vet before the ILPH/RSPCA arrived and so he can now claim the horses are receiving veterinary treatment. All the ILPH/RSPCA can now do is make sure the vets advice is adhered to by making a check up call the following week. If the farmer hasn't done anything about the horses and is still failing in their basic care then they should be able to act....if the 2 mares are as bad as you say then sadly this might be too late.... but if the farmer has had them checked by a vet who didn't feel they needed destroying on humane grounds and that treament was an option then there isn't a lot they can do unless they can prove that the farmer isn't following the vet's advice regarding their care.
I would think there is a good chance this woman that has been working there is giving a very rosy view of what the vet said to try and put you off and there is a good chance the vet was very unhappy with the animals condition but felt there was a chance that they could pull round with proper care. It sounds like unfortunately the horses won't get this and therefore the ILPH/RPSCA may well be able to act at a future date so keep at them and Good Luck.