Update on new horse not settling... thanks for all the advice

_jetset_

Visit site
Grace had the saddle fitter and the vet up this morning (was very good with both) so did not go out until 10am.

All the other horses had been out for a couple of hours. She was brilliant to turn out again, very steady and waited to be let loose before calmly walking off.

She tried the mares again but was chased away so went and stood near the geldings. A few came over to have a nosey at her, but that was it. She started wandering away about 30 mins later and joined two mares (a cob and a pony) and grazed with them. They let her be with them and Grace was really chilled out.

However, two of the mares (my pregnant one being one of them) chased her away again when she got to close but after she cantered off she settled again which is a big improvement to yesterday. Hannah (my pregnant mare) really bit her hard on her bottom. Poor Grace squeeled but never retaliated which is a good sign, she obviously knows her place!

Thanks for everyone's advice yesterday, what a stressful day it was. At least she seems to be settling in to her new way of life!

P.S. Bloody saddle didn't fit... it was my old one for Han so it's going on ebay today and then I am going hunting for a new (cheap) one!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Hi Becky

I haven't been on over the weekend so missed all of you previous posts.

Glad she is starting to settle in now though, it will take a while before the herd will accept her properly (took one of our mares about 3 months before she was even allowed to graze near the others) so i am sure she will be fine.

Good luck and any piccis yet??
smile.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
So pleased she is settling better.

I had a nightmare settling Sam into his field but after just a few days they had sorted the pecking order and all was well.