Update on Oedema Mare

Tia

Visit site
I'm just popped out to take some photos of my little girl and I think the oedema has gone down a little from when I looked at it a couple of hours ago, although it is obviously still painful to her.

244697633.jpg

244697666.jpg

My vet has just called this minute to say give bute and LA Penicillin. He can't come today but if she is no better in 4 days then he'll come.

I'm just waiting on my vehicle to defrost and then will mix up the bute into a syringe and give it to her. I'll have to go out and get some LAP as I'm not sure how old the stuff in my house is
crazy.gif

Tia

Visit site
Oh it's pretty bad. It's swollen out at least 3 inches all the way across her chest. This is what she normally looks like - she's a tiny little pony.

223348786.jpg

Enfys

Visit site
Strewth Tia!
shocked.gif
She doesn't do anything by halves does she?
Poor girl, it looks lucky that she hasn't sliced herself open. I hope the bute makes her more comfortable and that she's better very soon.

Tia

Visit site
No she doesn't bless her. Trouble is, it isn't her who is accident prone, it's those great lumps of foals who barge into her! Maybe nannying isn't her forte after all. I think I may have to rethink this as this is twice she has been seriously injured by those rambunctious big foals. She might only be able to care for them whilst they are weanlings and then once they become yearlings the other nanny can take over.

Our fences aren't low either, so when she gets plummeted over them it really takes a toll on her.

Mind you, her leg has healed up amazingly well - you can barely see any damage there apart from a large scar up the back of her pastern but on her leg it is just dotted with lots of white lines now.

Tia

Visit site
I do find it a little frustrating at times over here with regards to vets, however no point getting irked about it; you just have to get on with it. Anyway the swelling does seem to have gone down a fair amount, so I am pleased about that.

samp

Visit site
That dies look really sorry poor girl. I hope the bute makes her comfortable soon and the penicillin stops any chance of infection

Theresa_F

Visit site
Tia, what you need is the old 16.2 WB mare where I got Chancer from - she ruled the field with a rod of iron and god help the colt who put a hoof out of line - they were met with a hard nip and a set of heels.

Ditto my old TB - never actually hurt anything but her body langague was evil to those who would stir things up - she liked a quiet orderly field.

Perhaps as you say, she is for the small babies and a more robust nanny for the hoolies is called for.