Update on Old Mare Unhappy in Retirement

southerncomfort

Visit site
Just wanted to do an update for all those who were kind enough to offer advice.

I posted last week that her demeanour in the field had changed and she seemed unhappy and I worried that she wasn't coping with being retired.

This past week things got worse. She began losing her balance and stumbling on her front legs. Fearing that her arthritis had spread to the coffin joints or even something neurological, I had the vet come out and check her over.

Turns out that she is just very lethargic and wobbly which explains the stumbling etc. Ran full bloods and she is looking a little bit anaemic which isn't too unusual for an old horse. Vet isn't overly worried at this point but we've given her a supplement called Event which should give her a good boost and we've retested for cushings (results back next week).

I'm to let the vet know if she doesn't improve or gets worse but basically we think she's beginning to feel her age. I think I'm going to bring her in for 3 or 4 hours every day. Hopefully that shouldn't make her too stiff but will make sure that she is getting some rest.

Mule

Visit site
I've started seperating my elderly mare from the geldings for most of the day. They chat over the fence and they are allowed time together to groom. (She isn't bothered about them) One of the geldings herds everything that moves and she isn't really able for that anymore. She really enjoys her quieter life

Archangel

Visit site
My very old gelding was still herd leader at 36 but I put him on his own during the day so he could nap in the field shelter without being on duty. He could also have shed loads of extra food without being annoyed by the others staring at him.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would ask for the TRH test for Cushings, we had one horse whose ACTH test were always at an acceptable lever but TRH test came back sky high. My Draft mare started stumbling and falling after she had been on Prascend for over 12 months. We decided that the time had come.........

southerncomfort

Visit site
Thanks.

She is mostly in her own field now next to the other 2. I put my other old mare in with her for a couple of hours a day so that she has some company as she gets a bit depressed if she is completely on her own, but I definitely agree that she needs to be able to graze without being bothered by the others now. I've also put a good thick straw bed down in the field shelter so she can wander in and have a rest when she wants, however I think I'm still going to bring her in for a bit each day.

I'll see what the ACTH results are like then I'll talk to the vet about whether the TRH test would be appropriate or maybe a Prascend trial to see if it helps.

It's odd because she got away from me yesterday and galloped up the field bucking all the way, but today she stumbled again so her energy levels are very up and down. I must admit that I'm worried about this Winter. I don't think we're at the end of the line yet but I have prepared myself that I may have to make that call sooner rather than later.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
With my mare, the stumbling wasn't to do with lethargy but was neurological - and the problem was initially intermittent. PPID (Cushings) unfortunately causes ataxia. We had a cob a few years ago who also had to be pts because of ataxia, aged 31. Cushings was never diagnosed but the vet did suspect a tumour. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem and it is easily solveable.

southerncomfort

Visit site
With my mare, the stumbling wasn't to do with lethargy but was neurological - and the problem was initially intermittent. PPID (Cushings) unfortunately causes ataxia. We had a cob a few years ago who also had to be pts because of ataxia, aged 31. Cushings was never diagnosed but the vet did suspect a tumour. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem and it is easily solveable.

Thanks PAS. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Hopefully ACTH results back today and I'll have a chat with the vet.

southerncomfort

Visit site
So the ACTH levels are borderline - pretty much the same as they were 18mths ago.

Vet isn't convinced, looking at the results, that cushings is the cause of her symptoms.

After discussion, I've decided to wait until she's had the second dose of Event next month and if no improvement I'll have the TRH stimulation test done just to be absolutely sure however, it is possible that she is just a very old horse who is beginning to fail physically.

At this point she's having more good days (happily cantering in the field etc) than bad days, I think when this changes I'm going to have a decision to make.

Pearlsasinger - do you mind me asking how the Ataxia progressed with your cob? I'm struggling a bit with this and I'd like to be prepared for what might happen and be ready to make a decision before she suffers in any way. Thank you.