UPDATE on periocular sarcoid

bumper

Visit site
I posted a while ago about my appy x and his sarcoid on his right upper eyelid: my vet sent pics to Liverpool, and they sent the BCG vaccination. Months on, it's all looking fab, and I am thrilled!

This is what we were dealing with:
IMG_3414.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, after injection number 6:
IMG_0459.jpg

Today!:
IMG_3773.jpg

He developed VERY itchy skin, especially on his face, and bald patches: it looked like dermatitis, and you can see the big bald patch adjacent to his eye on the photos. All clearing up now.

Last edited:

pines of rome

Visit site
What an improvement, bet you are pleased. They are horrible things my boy has a large nodular one on his sheath, being treated by a homeopathic vet atm which is holding it steady otherwise will have to resort to liverpool cream, it can,t apparently be injected !

Britestar

Visit site
Looks good. One of my horses had 3 periocular sarcooids at the same thime, and they too were treated with BCG vaccines very succesfully.

I think she had 8 or 9 treatments althogether, and they have never come back.

bumper

Visit site
What an improvement, bet you are pleased. They are horrible things my boy has a large nodular one on his sheath, being treated by a homeopathic vet atm which is holding it steady otherwise will have to resort to liverpool cream, it can,t apparently be injected !

No, apparently the BCG vacc can only be used on the periocular ones. Good luck with the homeopathic treatment!

Looks good. One of my horses had 3 periocular sarcooids at the same thime, and they too were treated with BCG vaccines very succesfully.

I think she had 8 or 9 treatments althogether, and they have never come back.

That's reassuring, thanks! The vet has one last dose of the vacc in hand, which I don't think he will need to use as there's nothing left to inject. I've sent him some photos from this weekend to send on to Liverpool, so we can see what they say.

w1bbler

Visit site
Thats great to see - my boy had his 4th injection today - vet is happy with progress but I'm struggling to see the improvement. Nice to see it does work (with the stress of potential problems I was beginning to wonder if it was all worthwhile) :)

irishdraft

Visit site
I have had a vet also look at my young horse who has a very small sarcoid by his eye and has said bcg but seems to be saying only 1 injection which does not seem to be what everyone else has, did your horse have to be sedated each time he was injected ? also havent heard of a periocular sarcoid before is that a commmon one ? be interested in your experience as I am wavering at the moment as price quoted is about £900 to £1000 which as Im not insured is quite a sum.

bumper

Visit site
I have had a vet also look at my young horse who has a very small sarcoid by his eye and has said bcg but seems to be saying only 1 injection which does not seem to be what everyone else has, did your horse have to be sedated each time he was injected ? also havent heard of a periocular sarcoid before is that a commmon one ? be interested in your experience as I am wavering at the moment as price quoted is about £900 to £1000 which as Im not insured is quite a sum.

Hi Irishdraft. Periocular just means "next to the eye", which seems to be (from the information I have gleaned) the only type which responds to the BCG vaccination injections.

It isn't only one injection. Liverpool saw photos of my lad's before they prescribed how many/what intervals. Each time the vet comes to inject, it requires a few (5 or 6) TINY injections into the sarcoid, each delivered by individual small syringes. In my lad's case it was first injections, then a week later, then two weeks later, then three, then three again. After that I sent more photos via my vet to Liverpool and they recommended two more, of which he had the first three weeks ago. I'm in consultation with my vet, and have sent more recent photos, re whether he needs the final one, and I don't think so as there is nothing there now to inject! Awaiting their verdict.

Each time the vet comes to inject, yes, the horse does need sedating, as they have to keep stock still to be accurate with the needles, and Liverpool recommend an injection of anti-inflammatory drug. My vet and I found that the anti-inflammatory wasn't needed after a while as he never experienced severe reaction, so we didn't opt for that after the first four..up til then we just followed the advice.

The BCG vacc cost about £140 for the first course of 5, then about £60 for the last batch of 2. The BIG cost, of course, is your vet's time, the sedation, the anti-inflammatories, all the syringes used! It's cost about £1000 altogether.

bumper

Visit site
Thats great to see - my boy had his 4th injection today - vet is happy with progress but I'm struggling to see the improvement. Nice to see it does work (with the stress of potential problems I was beginning to wonder if it was all worthwhile) :)

Keep going!!! You WILL struggle to see any improvement at first...my lad's seemed to swell at first, then it deflated like a balloon going down, like it was squashed somehow, but got bigger sideways as if it had been hit by a hammer. After 5, it started to get much better.

Oh my yes, the stress, all those sedations...sitting there willing him to stay upright for an hour each time til he came round. He only nearly went over once, but that was because his legs weren't organised, and we had to swiftly "reorganise" one! The first time was the worst, because of all the awful warnings re reactions on the leaflets Liverpool send you: if he was fine the first time, he'll be fine from my experience :)

Twilkolock

Visit site
My mare has some nasty scarcoids on the inside of her hind leg. Did a bit of research and before calling in the vet, I'm trying Thuja cream. Seems to be working at the moment with some amazing results. At under a tenner it's worth giving it ago before I embark on the expensive route!

irishdraft

Visit site
Thanks for info Bumper, the vet i have had look at my youngster has not explained all that, the photos have been sent to liverpool but info has obviuosly not got thru.

bumper

Visit site
My mare has some nasty scarcoids on the inside of her hind leg. Did a bit of research and before calling in the vet, I'm trying Thuja cream. Seems to be working at the moment with some amazing results. At under a tenner it's worth giving it ago before I embark on the expensive route!

It is worth trying as I have read about great results and I am so pleased it's working for you: I tried it but it didn't have any effect sadly. I expect different treatments work in different areas!

Last edited:

bumper

Visit site
Thanks for info Bumper, the vet i have had look at my youngster has not explained all that, the photos have been sent to liverpool but info has obviuosly not got thru.
It took Liverpool quite some time to respond when we first sent the pics. I can't remember how long it was now but I think it was the best part of a month. I reckon they must be very busy.