Update on psycho mare

Kelly1982

Visit site
Just wanted to give you all a quick update really (if anyone is that bothered LOL) as last time i posted i was really upset as things seemed to be going downhill fast with my new mare.

Well i had a lesson and my instructor has taught me a whole new way of riding
shocked.gif
She also told me to changed my horses bit from a french link to a rubber snaffle and wear spurs on her as she was evading my leg. I was pleased after my lesson as i was actually being taught to ride 'properly' but also a bit down as i found it really difficult to remember everything at once and again i started to blame myself.

Anyway the next couple of times i rode we were still having a bit of a battle but admittedly nowhere near as much as before so i started to feel a little bit more confident. It has been a couple of weeks now and i think we have more or less cracked it. There is still a long way to go but we're not battling each other now and she is working consistantly. Even popped her over a few jumps the other day and she stayed calm and collected and came back to me more or less straight away.

I have got another lesson on Monday so really looking forward to that and i really hope my instructor sees a difference. I have been working really hard with her so i hope its paid off. It feels like it has started to and Senza seems a lot happier too.

She has also settled into her routine now and we have had no more trashed stables and she waits patiently to be turned out. She is still a little psycho LOL but in a good way now and not because she is distressed anymore. I'm sure she still has some more settling in to do but we're getting there.

Sorry to bore everyone but i am just pleased with our progress at the mo and wanted to share
smile.gif

amage

Visit site
well done thats great that its all settling down now. i'm sure your instructor will be able to see all the hard work you've put in. your mare sounds a bit like mine sometimes and i often find that light work days don't suit her...the harder and more focussed she is the better if she has a switch off day she gets into foul humour (weird mare!!). keep us posted it sounds good

_jetset_

Visit site
Well done... it sounds as though you are both getting to know each other better now! She is a gorgeous mare (you know how jealous I am, LOL) and I am sure you will become a great team in time.

Just out of curiosity, how much did she know when you bought her? I have just taken on a loan mare who is 5 and was backed then turned away last year so is just restarting her education...

Rambo

Visit site
That's great news Kelly
smile.gif
So glad you seem to have turned a corner at last. Horses, especially youngsters, can be so frustrating, but when it comes good it's great
laugh.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
Hi Becky

She was backed in Feb and i brought her at the end of July (doesn't time fly). She was working in an outline in walk, trot and canter and was quite well balanced so was nice and collected with it. She had also done a bit of jumping and been jumped around british novice on a ticket. She was being professionally schooled though to sell.

Due to her not settling in straight away she started battling me for an outline, snatching the reins and cantering as fast as she could at every oportunity!! We now have the walk and trot sorted again and we are getting there with the canter although she seems to have lost a bit of balace so that is taking a bit longer to get back but on the whole we are slowly getting back on track.

I'm sure her problems were a mixture of her not settling in and trying to push her boundries as well as me being a bit too soft on her but as we are getting to know each other now things have calmed down a lot in all aspects.

I see the pics of your new mare, she looks like she is going to make a stunning horse
smile.gif
And YAH FOR CHESTNUT MARES!!!! LOL

When are you getting her??

Kelly1982

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Horses, especially youngsters, can be so frustrating,

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it!!! Half my problem is i always blame myself and then start to loose confidence in my ability but now things are coming right i feel a lot better.

I'm sure she will keep me on my toes though he he

_jetset_

Visit site
I am hoping we can start progressing quite quickly but she needs her fitness building up and he muscles strengthening... but as she has already been backed she understood what I was asking of her (albeit at a walk)...

She is coming on 8th October, and I can't wait! She needs lots of toning up as she is a bit podgy due to living out all year, but I am sure with a bit of condition on her and some work she will look fab!

I have always wanted a chestnut... now I have one!

Thanks for your reply, it just reassures me as to what type of work she should be up to doing

Rebecca x

Kelly1982

Visit site
I must admit Senza isn't the fittest at the mo so i generally try and keep schooling sessions short if she is being a good girl. This is also due to the fact that i dont want her getting bored and starting to fight me.

I bet you cant wait til the 8th, i only had to wait 5 days for Senza and that seemed like a life time LOL.

I'm sure you will do really well with her if the pics of hannah are anything to go by
smile.gif