update on Ruby's lameness

LaurenBay

Visit site
Hi all.

For those that haven't seen my recent posts, Ruby hasn't been right since Jan. She didn't appear lame which is why vet wasn't called in the beginning. I went down the saddle/teeth/back route and all fine apart from some soreness on her shoulders and neck. After having some time off and pysio sessions she was still not a happy bunny so vet was called. Turns out she was lame on right hind. Vet also run bloods as Ruby's behaviour had changed dramatically. Whilst waiting for results we did a bute trial, I got my old Horse back. Happy to be ridden and generally a happy Horsey all over. Came off the bute and I had a grumpy Horse again.

Vet came again today, bloods were clear. Nerve blocked and found out both hinds were lame. Nerve blocked front feet as also didn't look quite right. X rayed hocks and feet also. Feet are fine so we have come to the conclusion she is just sore in front as she is over compensating for her hind end. Both hocks have arthritis in, the right is worse. She's now back on bute and will be staying on it for a good while and vet is back out early next week for cortisone injections. My poor baby :( arthritis and she is only 11.

I just feel like a crappy owner for not getting vet out sooner. Would have been my first port of call had I known she was actually lame.

oldie48

Visit site
Bilateral hind limb lameness can be very difficult to detect and you wouldn't expect arthritis in both hocks in an 11 yr old. Horses are excellent at hiding pain, their lives depend upon it, so don't feel bad. You have found the problem and it is being treated. I hope she responds well to treatment and you have many more ridden years together.

Bernster

Visit site
Yes exactly what oldie said, don't be too hard on yourself, you're getting it sorted now. Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

PorkChop

Visit site
Glad you have an answer, and well done for persisting to find out what the problem is - hope Ruby responds well to the injections :)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Bilateral hind limb lameness can be very difficult to detect and you wouldn't expect arthritis in both hocks in an 11 yr old. Horses are excellent at hiding pain, their lives depend upon it, so don't feel bad. You have found the problem and it is being treated. I hope she responds well to treatment and you have many more ridden years together.

This, my old boy was exactly like you described last year and I felt so bad I hadn't picked up on it sooner. We lost him in Dec/jan to lami flare up.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Just thought I'd update. Ruby had cortisone injections and rest and then came back into work. That was 6 weeks ago. Vet came again and Ruby has been given the all clear to start working properly as she is sound at the moment. Over the moon and I have my calm laid back Horse again. She is no longer on bute but does have a glucosamine supplement. Will be keeping a very close eye and of course taking things slow.