Pictures update on shear mouth

Asha

Visit site
Just back from the vets. Shes going to be ok, which is great news. Ive added a couple of photos in case anyone wanted to see. The first is her lump. They xrayed, and found that its actually a tooth that's growing the wrong way. Basically when the adult tooth started coming through there wasn't enough room for it, so it tried pushing through but couldnt, and eventually started to grow downwards into her jawbone. Causing constant pain. They have created some space now, so it will stop growing down, and the lump will eventually get smaller.
There where also several gaps around her other teeth which had rotted her gums away causing holes, again causing constant pain. She has had these cleaned out, and the gaps widened so the food wont get stuck anymore. I am so proud of her, considering shes never been anywhere in her life apart from the stud she came from and my place, she took it all very well. So, she has to have bute twice a day for a week to help with the pain, then in about 10 days she will feel like a new horse.

because of the pain on that side she had stopped using those teeth which led to the shear mouth ( ive found a photo on tinternet, as couldn't get a photo done at the vets) The vets have now taken all the edges back, and shes almost got normal looking teeth. She has to go back in 6 weeks for another flush and more rasping . Assuming everything goes to plan, she will be ok to have normal checks after that.

Final photo to show how much weight shes put on since shes been with us.(4 weeks)

Vets also checked to see if she is still in foal, they think she is, but couldn't see the foal. Apparently it can be difficult to see them at 5months, but she has a large uterus, so we are assuming all good !

She really has the most amazing temperament.

Attachments

• lump.jpg
    lump.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 69
  • shearmouth.png
    shearmouth.png
    232 KB · Views: 69
  • hosanna1.JPG
    hosanna1.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 66

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh phew, that's a relief, I was wondering how she'd got on.

So she's another who's been caused a lot of discomfort by a lack of proper care in her previous life, poor girl :mad:. Any half decent EDT or vet should have picked this up long ago, but thank goodness you found it and sorted it. Sadly many brood mares seem to miss out on basic foot and dental care.

She's lovely.

ETA my mare had a wave mouth on one side, and a shear mouth on the other.

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
Oh phew, that's a relief, I was wondering how she'd got on.

So she's another who's been caused a lot of discomfort by a lack of proper care in her previous life, poor girl :mad:. Any half decent EDT or vet should have picked this up long ago, but thank goodness you found it and sorted it. Sadly many brood mares seem to miss out on basic foot and dental care.

She's lovely.

ETA my mare had a wave mouth on one side, and a shear mouth on the other.

Your poor mare, no wonder it took so long to get right, at least my mares was just on one side. When I looked into her mouth and saw the state it made me so sad for her, its all so preventable. Onwards and upwards now x

Asha

Visit site
Thanks for the update that's really interesting and hopefully she'll feel an awful lot better now!

Thanks Ester. It was fascinating to see what was going on, the vets had a camera so you could really see the state of the gums/ holes etc. Its no wonder shes on the lean side.
Just got her some mash, hopefully she will be able to slurp that down tonight