update on towing

carmenlucy123

Visit site
Iv insured my trailer now on horse insurance..........
NOW im going to trade the polo!!!

iv got about 2,500-3,00 to spend on a 4 by 4!!!
what to get what to get? why cant freelanders tow they're pretty <u>any suggestions on what to buy?

and thanks to the people who responded helpfully, people dont ask for suggestions if they know everything i diddnt know you needed a 2ltr engine to tow BECAUSE IV NEVER TOWED BEFORE so to the rest of you lot get off your high horse!! no pun intended ha ha ha

i dont want your suggestions if your just going to b-little me.
i thought it was quite funny the response i got about the polo.... just to make you laugh even more i also thought a jimney jeep would tow so there you go laugh away!!

anyway back to my post what to buy? what to buy?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
For the money you want to spend another relatively cheap alternative would be a Mitsubishi Pajero SWB. It would have either a 2.5 or 2.8 litre turbo diesel engine depending on the year &amp; would certainly tow your trailer. Many of these are low mileage as they are imported in from Japan. They are right hand drive so that's ok for our roads &amp; any modifications for our regulations would have been carried out. If you have a look on Ebay you'll get an idea of what is available &amp; for what money. Good Luck
smile.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
i love my discovery- you can buy them off RAC quite cheap - i found a place not far from me when I was looking and could get one for about £3000 - only down side was that it was Orange but who cars at least theyd see you coming
grin.gif

Halfpass

Visit site
Cars I would have - fourtrak, terrano( have got one and love it), maverick, landcruiser
Cars I wouldn't have - discovery (had one hated it), pajero / shogun (had 1 it blew up!!!)

ETS: bought my terrano off ebay and paid well below asking price. Worth doing if you have someone knowledgable to check it out for you

_daisy_

Visit site
tell me about it - ill have to keep my older one for now - want to buy some land so new car is out of the question.
the jeepy cars are for posing in - OR ( and no one please shout me down for this) mothers taking their only child to school in!
tongue.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'm like an old record!
You can't beat a Daihatsu Fourtrak! Reasonable to buy and run, will tow a house let alone a horse, reasonably comfortable (have driven ours down to London several times and you don't even have to stretch when you get out!) This is our second and would have another any day!!
grin.gif

Sooty

Visit site
My daughter is 5'4", what has that got to do with driving ability? She went from a Renault Clio to a Land Rover Discovery and had no problems. It does take a different driving technique (they are not so easy to throw round corners) but she loves her car. She also passed her driving test after 1997 and had to do the trailer test.

Bert&Maud

Visit site
I'll just be boring and vote for the Fourtrak as well! I love mine, it doesn't pretend to be anything other than a solid reliable worker, no extra knobs and functions to add to the price and go wrong. It tows my IW510 and 16.3hh carthorse quite happily, with the addition of a 16hh thoroughbred when I'm brave enough to offer it a lift! Also very reasonable to insure.

carmenlucy123

Visit site
i dont know im scared of buying an old car!!
i think im going to have to think a bit harder about this one!!
i love my polo too much!!
and i constantly drive from manchester to canterbury (dover way)
i wish mildred could fit in the polo damn mildred for being a horse!

L

lilym

second that i'm on my 3rd!!! tramped up some steep hills today with no effort at all, unlike the pajero automatic i had the supposed "pleasure" of towing with once!!

Loopy Lu

Visit site
We had 4 troopers and absolutely loved them to bits and they towed like a dream until ..... (isn't there always an 'until' or a 'but') our engine blew up, we had recon put in 2/3K, then it blew up again, replaced it again. Then we sold it and heard it had blown up AGAIN!!!). It was then we heard that this happened with Troopers sometimes. Couldn't tell you if it was a specific year that it happened with, but if you look at them check it isn't one of that group that do it. Shame, because it truly towed the best of any car we have had, you didn't know the trailer was on the back.

charlie900

Visit site
I tow with a discovery got a manual and an automatic they are exellent i found them better than shoguns or my old volvo but be discos have a gear box that is likely to go anytime after 100k mine cost £850 to have a recon one put in two years ago