update on 'when to admit defeat' thread.

ilvpippa

Visit site
I took her for a hack yesterday, which she loved as always. I then rode in the indoor today & really worked on my contact, she was still her usual self, cheeky & evasion queen. Thought id spend time in canter as i never do & wonder why she runs off! But wow, after 5 minutes of trying to relax her neck muscles, by perserving & doing it! She relaxed & let go. YAY. Felt mean as she was very sweaty afterwards & looked tired.

She is also having physio tomorrow. Oh & one thing ive realised, is i much prefer hacking round the country side than schooling! I still want her to be able to work nicely, but i want to be a speed jumping, happy hacker hunting person :))).

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I took her for a hack yesterday, which she loved as always. I then rode in the indoor today & really worked on my contact, she was still her usual self, cheeky & evasion queen. Thought id spend time in canter as i never do & wonder why she runs off! But wow, after 5 minutes of trying to relax her neck muscles, by perserving & doing it! She relaxed & let go. YAY. Felt mean as she was very sweaty afterwards & looked tired.

She is also having physio tomorrow. Oh & one thing ive realised, is i much prefer hacking round the country side than schooling! I still want her to be able to work nicely, but i want to be a speed jumping, happy hacker hunting person :))).

Great news :)

ilvpippa

Visit site
Exactly, why should i bother drilling her all the time when id much prefer to see the countryside. I might see if i could start le trec or something.& have a flat session once every two weeks to keep it fresh in her mind.

noblesteed

Visit site
Well done you! I made a very similar decision when struggling with my horse a couple of years ago. Once I realised he really disliked endless schooling, and I didn't like it much either, I have never looked back. We have so much fun, just ENJOYING ourselves! We do things we can enjoy together - hacking on the beach, the moors, galloping in stubble fields, jumping, riding club, a bit of schooling and hunting. It is fantastic to have a horse that really looks forward to his work, gets excited when he sees his saddle and enjoys whatever we do and is willing to try because he realises too that riding is FUN.