Update on winter turnout...

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks for everyone who replied to my post about winter turnout for my pregnant mare (keeps coming in with kicks so worried about her being turned out with mares when heavily in foal).

I went to speak to my YO tonight and she has been fantastic. At first I thought Han would have to share a field with two geldings but because we do alternate days (mares on day, geldings the next) in winter field she has said why don't the two geldings go out in the little paddock one day and Hannah the day after? This is fantastic because it means she will be able to go out on her own from November!

She also showed me the field she's thinking for Han and foal and it's a gorgeous field. There is some sheep netting but she is going to post and rail it all or put some electric fencing down to make sure it is 100% safe!

I am very happy and extremely greatful to her!

_daisy_

Visit site
thats great news. Bet your really pleased that youve got your own field.at least it will stop all your worrying about what/if the other horses do something to Han when shes so far gone.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Good news. Wish all YOs were the same as yours.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
That's it... the problem is that most of the mares only go out once or twice a week. So when they do go out they go absolutely mental with legs flying in every direction so I would be so worried turning her out with them. I know I'm being quite paranoid but come November she will be nearly in her last trimester so I can't risk it... Too much money and time has gone into putting her in foal.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Thats great news!! Sounds like you have a very good YO there!! At least you will be able to enjoy Hannahs later stages of pregnancy without worrying whether she will receive a field injury. I'm really pleased for you!!

_jetset_

Visit site
Believe me, I know how lucky I am to have my YO! She is absolutely fantastic and tries to help as much as she can if you're worried about something or need something sorted out... When I hear people saying how inflexible some YOs are, I just thank my lucky stars that I am on that yard.

_daisy_

Visit site
youve got every reason to be worried when they go out that infrequent. I was really lucky with Ebi as she lived out 24/7 with her 3 friends all through her pregnancy. Apart for little Flighty taking the piss with her and trying to kick her every chance she got she had a lovely relaxing pregnancy - and of course shes now got a lovely foal to show off.
its one less thing off youre mind. trust me it wont seem much now but as her due date gets closer and closer you will start shitting yourself with things that are nothng to worry about. SN must know this with all the PMs i sent her in Ebis last trimester!
im hoping i can put Ebi back in foal again next spring!!

_daisy_

Visit site
after seeing how Willow has turned out i think i might have to put her back to Primitive Star again. Willow is just the spit of Ebi. Shes the same colour as Ebi was when she was a foal, her temperament is the same, her attitude, everything. I think that as ive got such a great foal i cant go wrong with the same stallion.

who are you going to put Han to?

_jetset_

Visit site
She's in foal to Pro-Set now, but I would love to put her to something like Fleetwater Opposition next time... that's if I ever do it again after all of this stress!

_daisy_

Visit site
once shes foaled youll be relieved . thats how i was anyway. I even bought a baby monitor and slept in my trailer so i could be their if there were any problems.
Well talk about sleepless nights, i know understand why people are knackered when they have children or when their partners snore. Well Ebi did her fair share of snoring and grunting. It mustve been so knackering heaving that weight up and down in the stable to get comfy - kept me awake for hours. My bed was calling me after a few nights in the trailer with the dog for protection!!!
ive got to admit, since Ebi and Willow are thriving i would certainly do it again. i thought that this year was too late to put her back in foal, especially after the mastitis etc, so if i do it its going to be April May time next year so its an earlish foal.
Like the choice of your stallions.