Update Re: we've started rearing

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Went up today and he was lame ugh!! I think he must have pulled something yesterday and he was very sore when farrier did his feet, so i didnt ride but instead i took him into the school (on the ground not ridden) which is a soft surface and did some groundwork, respecting my space etc.. Took us half n hour before he stopped walking all over me but we got there!!
Have concluded (after discussion with friend up yard) that the addition to speedibeet to his diet may well have tipped his energy levels a tad too far and also the combination of that and him having a holiday of just hacking - i think he might be the type of horse that just has to keep working.
So tommorow (if hes sound) will be schooling!! Then next week im going out with someone on foot and going the same route as i did when he reared yesterday, and if he does it im just going to challenge him and try and call his bluff. I honestly dont think he would go any higher, just need the confidence to actually get the guts to challenge him, i think hes the type of horse to back down when he knows im not going to.
SO wish us luck, will keep updating!

Edited to say - have cut out the speedibeet too!

Rambo

Visit site
What in the Speedibeet do you think would be heating him up though
tongue.gif
I thought it was unmolassed, and therefore non-heating
crazy.gif

kayleigh_and_rocky

Yeh see i've always thought the same as you but like i said i know a few go nutty on it. But with Rock i think as i said its more a case of having too much bulk which is giving him too much energy, tbh its my own fault, i didnt really think it would effect him but hey we learn something new every day!
So yes less food more work hopefully = no rearing!!

Parkranger

Visit site
Conditioning cubes are supposed to be non heating too - tell that to my poor arse after it hit the deck!

I reckon he pulled something in all his sillyness - defo give the sugarbeet a miss! x

lewey1

Visit site
Hiya, You might be onto something with the speedibeet. My horse goes absolutely barmy on this. Infact she does on any feed which has a hint of molasses / sugar !! It's only recentely I've been able to give her any hard feed (she's 11 now!) and thats ultimate balancer and unmolassed chaff.
Good luck!
H x

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
Hope challenging him works - I know it does with alot of horses.

Unfortunately - it just used to make mine more cross! Think he liked the fight....

So I tried just sitting quietly and asking him to move on - with no fuss and it actually worked with him - he just discovered it was no fun with out a fight and gave up!

Anyway - expect that wasn't much help - but good luck with curing the rearing!

kayleigh_and_rocky

Yeh used to make my old horse more cross too

However Rock has a very wimpish personality, and i just know that if i was to say 'go on then do your worse' hed just go 'oh um ok no ill be good'
Also not going to use any voice at all other than saying 'walk on'
So shall let you know how it goes!