Uprating a 3.5t?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Can it be done and if so what the the pros and cons. I really only need about another 300kg to get a Sec b on next to the hipo so a 7.5 is a but OTT, plus our yard is very tight for turning so its not overly practical. I love my little van conversion and it would be fine for the short trips we make, just local shows and hacking but Im conscious it then becomes due for plating rather than an mot. What do I need to know?

MissTyc

Visit site
Loads of information online. It's a fairly straightforward process for most vans. As you say, it will need plating, and of course you need to have the license to drive it as no longer comes under the car license up to 3.5t.

gallopingby

Visit site
You can usually update 3,5 to 3.9. It depends on the chassis. Once the springs have been uprated the vehicle has to be inspected by a DVA person in order for the paperwork to be changed. It costs about £1000 and most of this is due to the inspection and paperwork requirement not the hands on engineering. You’ll also have to have a speed limiter fitted.

Bernster

Visit site
What gallopingby said ?. Recently did mine to 4.5t and it was just a paperwork exercise for me as whatever was mechanically needed (hah) had been done as part of the build. For 3.5 to 3.9 if eligible I think it is just the springs.