Upright pasterns

RachelB

Visit site
My horse has VERY upright pasterns. She hadn't done much until I got her June last year but has been on box rest for 4 1/2 weeks as she had injured her pastern/fetlock somehow due to her odd shape. Vet x-rayed and found that her bones were more upright than her legs looked and now my farrier (after seeing the x-rays) is shoeing her even more upright. The difference is amazing though, she moves so much more freely and although she'll always have a short stride (she also has upright shoulders which doesn't help) she can now work to the best of her ability. So with correct shoeing and careful management to prevent injury (Maiden's injury was caused by trotting on hard ground so she won't trot on the roads again or go XC/ galloping on hard ground, and will wear sport medicine boots) I don't see why it should be a problem - no horse is perfect. I don't know about from a competition point of view though, as mine will do only RC level up to about 3' as the rest of her body dictates that she's not cut out for anything more!
Don't know if you can see how upright Maiden is in this photo:
maiden2603200715.jpg

If you're concerned maybe talk to your farrier and/or vet.

misshubblebubble

Visit site
Thanks Silmarillion,
I will speak to my farrier and vet about it when they visit next week.
Your horse is lovely! But I can see what you mean about her pasterns and shoulder.
Thanks again.

joanne1920

Visit site
my shetland has up right pasterns and very boxy feet, the farrier doesnt seem to bothered by it but the horse physio says they are too upright... might ask the vet next time they come x