upset pony please help

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I have two shetlands that I keep together at home. Recently one of them passed away - he was 38 so had a good life. I bought them as a pair and they have spent most of their lives together. I'm now really worried as the other one is so upset. he calls all the time - even at night. he has become very distressed. The vet says he is fine physically. I have put some sheep in the field and that helped for a couple of days, but now he is upset again, and chewing at the fence. What can I do?

JadeWisc

Visit site
If you are able, I would try to find a little friend for him. I have heard that goats make companion animals for horses, but if the sheep are not working maybe he needs a horse buddy.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
yeh it looks like I will have to, but do you think that will help? I hope they will get on if I do. My friend who lives next door says she will put her gelding (Harvey) in with him to see if that helps.

Zebedee

Visit site
He's missing his friend bless him. See how how gets on with your neighbours gelding. I hope you can make him happier soon.
Let us know how you go on.
(Sorry to hear about your other pony. Sounds as if he had a great life with you).

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I think people underestimate the security provided by more than one animal, sleeping for instance you rarely see both asleep at the same time, so it could be your old chap is plain scared on his own. I would find a companion asap and I think you will find he will be fine. He will also cope after a few weeks on his own, but at his age you may end up losing him too if he gets very depressed, I saw a free pony ad locally the other day perhaps on project horses or in the WMN I can't remember, but that's what's wrong with him, he's lonely...

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
arrr poor little guy he loved his buddy -- i know how distressed he is and you are -- my own horse died and his chum cried for a month day and night and he wasnt even alone as he had my duaghters old pony as a companion and they both missed him
was awfully sad and to think some people dont think horses feel they do -- poor old boys settled now and hes 36 soi know his time will come to , but i agree get another pony for him

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'd definately get another shetland, as much like your last one as possible (so if it was a gelding, get a gelding etc.). Shetlands are pretty easy to come by and lots of people offer them as companions for free. Obviously if you dont want to pay much then dont even bother looking at pedigree type ones!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
he seems to have calmed down a bit with Harvey in the field last night, there were a few bucks to start with but they have settled down now. They were checking each other out I guess. I am looking at getting another shetland though as well - thankies guys I shall keep you posted
smile.gif