upsetting

FairyLights

Visit site
just been looking on facebook and a poster has advertised a beautiful cob colt yearling for sale at £50 ono. words fail. so sad

3OldPonies

Visit site
Because most likely the poor thing will be bought by someone who 'wants a pony' but has no idea how to look after it.

Friend of my Dad nearly did exactly that after his grand daughter spotted a similar ad. Fortunately he had the sense to resist and ask my Dad first how much would be involved in looking after said pony. When he found out the deal was off and the kid got something else for her birthday instead. A few of the questions he asked, you'll love this after the things non-horsey people say thread, were 'do you mean we'd have to go up and feed it every day, even at Christmas?' followed up by 'so we couldn't leave it for a week to go on holiday?' and then 'it can't keep a pair of shoes on all year then?'.

FairyLights

Visit site
because someone might buy him just because he's cheap and not know how to look aftyer him or what the true costs involved are for example gelding and vaccinations. Same girl was also selling JRT pups for £40. earlier this year apparently is a sinle mum with 2 young children 7 horses/ponies and other animals. is also posting asking for cleaning jobs. I feel sorry for her too sounds like she has an awful lot on her hands and very little money and needs to sell.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes, somebody "unsuitable" might buy the pony, but it's also just as likely that somebody who cares for it properly will buy it. Idiots buy expensive horses too, price is no guarentee of a good or bad home and I speak from experience (unfortunately).

WelshD

Visit site
I see what you mean OP. Too many people buying cheap ponies, keeping them on £10 a week grass livery and thinking that's all the costs involved. see it all the time both locally and on social media

Yes an idiot can buy expensive ponies but there are more idiots at the cheap end of the market buying ponies that should never have been bred

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've bought a cheap colt foal this year. Just because he was cheap doesn't mean he'll get any less love or money spent on him.

Visit site
Our latest acquisition was a skewbald Shetland colt foal who cost 65guinnaes Ithink including transport to Aberdeen dock. He is now 2yo, still entire and is turning out to be a cracking wee pony. Hopefully he will run on to be the new stud stallion but we will take it year by year. He doesn't bother me entire but if he isn't going to make the grade he will be gelded instead.

Irish gal

Visit site
I don't think it's upsetting as long as someone buys him who knows what they are doing. And what's wrong with £10 grass livery if he has plenty to eat and is looked after. It doesn't have to cost a fortune in my experience to won a pony. In fact I think people are often squandering money on all sorts of unneeded supplements etc.

Where I'm from they are selling ponies and foals on city housing estates for €40 -€50, with kids using them as trotters when they are six months old. They are tied to lamp posts and try to graze on barren greens. Now that's upsetting!

Leo Walker

Visit site
The one selling a 3yr old colt with only one descended testicle is the one that makes me sad. She just gets endless comments about has he covered mares etc. Turns out he has :(