UPSIDE DOWN NECK! HOW WOULD YOU GO ABOUT CHANGING THIS?

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
I've recently purchased another horse for my daughter. Super little mare, 15hh, TB x Cob, 7yrs old. Sweet horse who is very willing with a lovely temperment. She came to us with an 'inverted' / 'upside down neck'. Not a major problem as I know with the correct schooling and time and patience this can be reversed. For starters we have taken away all hay nets/mangers etc and are feeding everything from the floor as the constant pulling at nets etc will not help her neck muscles. She has shortish neck at the best of times but she has started to stretch out long and low when ridden but only for very short bursts of time. She doesn't like it when you take up too much contact either. Generally she goes well on a loose rein but most of the time her head is waaaay to high (and too close to my face!) and this in turn is making her back dip. I was thinking of putting her in some 'lungie bungie' side reins. What do you think? and can any of you comment if you've had the same problem with a horse and how you overcame it? Thanks muchly in advance :)

zoelouisem

Visit site
Lunging in a perssoa or a cheaper copy!! With the clips done up between the front legs so ypu really encourage the horse to strech down over the back. You can do it quite loosly at first as shes weak and build it up over time. Then once shes got a stonger back i would do half the lunging session with the perssoa on the lower setting and then half on the higher setting.
obvioulsy you want to continue with the ridden work long and low and hacking on hills will also help too.:)

philamena

Visit site
I know this sounds boring, but in my view you can't really consider the neck in isolation from the rest of the back, so first off I'd be getting a very good osteo (probably, rather than physio or chiro, as they tend to take a deeper and broader view of what's going on imho) for a thorough check over. When my girl had issues at her poll and back end, she overdeveloped under her neck. We didn't let it go on long enough to go properly 'upside down', but put it this way: elements of her shape that we thought were conformational (and had been told were conformational by the vet at her 5 stage vetting) were definitely developmental and have changed shape through getting issues in other parts of the body sorted out. Working her in any kind of lunging aid before being sure she actually COULD work correctly in those areas would actually only have exacerbated the problems in the long run...

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Hack, hack and hack some more (with as much hill work as you can). Always in to the contact (not on the bit). Personally I'm not a great fan of lunging - but don't see the harm to do it maybe once a week. But if you want a horse looking 'right' then it's got to be ridden.

Do feed her from a manger - as this will encourage the muscles to start bending in the right way.

She'll look like a different horse in 3 months.

zoelouisem

Visit site
Yes!!! I've just sat down to read this weeks copy of HH and what do I find? lol Hmmmm, what would be a 'cheaper' option to the pessoa :-/ Thanks for your replies x

Ebay, or local tack shops. My friend got a copy including the roler for 35 quid in the tack shop and i actually find it easier to use than my works real pessoa.
Or if somebody you knows got one you could attemp making one, although i think it would be easier to find a cop!!!:)