Urgent advice needed about blood

Quigleyandme

Visit site
So, I have been accepted onto my second medicines trial as a healthy volunteer and if I complete it I will be paid enough to make a big dent in the vet bill debt. I am 60 and obviously in good health with a BMI of 21.2. I will be in the facility for 13 nights and will have a succession of cannulas to draw blood which should remain in situ for 36 hours each. I am very worried that I won't be able to complete and get paid because I now have slow, sticky blood that clots too quickly or rubbish veins. I did a trial this time last year when I was saving to buy Quigley and towards the end they were having a terrible time getting any blood out of me at all. The cannula would not remain patent and venous puncture was also unsuccessful although there was no problem with either at the start. Their protocol only allows for arm and hand. The doctor said my veins would recover but they had similar issues last Friday during screening. I can drink as much water as I want but can only eat what I am given and will be required to fast 9 days in a row between 22:30 and 13:00 the following day. Is there anything I can do to make my blood flow better apart from heat pads and staying hydrated? I can't ask the facility and I can't ask my GP because I don't want to draw attention to the problem. If I am habitually dehydrated without realising it how much water will be enough and would some exercise help? I'm not supposed to do anything that raises the heart rate excessively but perhaps I was to sedentary last time? Any informed advice would be appreciated.

ihatework

Visit site
My very informed advice would be that keeping well hydrated with water will help but potentially not to the extent you will need for extensive blood testing.

If you struggled last time, I suspect you will also struggle this time especially if the screening bloods didn’t go smoothly.

When selecting healthy volunteers there will be criteria about being suitable for repeat blood draws. The criteria is there for a reason. Not only your own health (what happens if you collapse your veins and then need medical emergency intervention for something that is either related or unrelated?) but also the overall trial.

If you can’t complete the scheduling and are withdrawn you then need to be replaced by someone else. So another human exposed and put at risk. A delay to the completion of that part of the trials process, lots of little delays over the entire development can ultimately mean months/years to patients who might need that drug.

In answer to your question, you should be paid pro rata to the point of withdrawal. But please discuss this with the phase 1 unit and don’t keep quiet.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Drink lots of water. And more. No, more than that :)

I struggle with blood tests, and my veins give up easily so I have to drink plenty of water in advance. Keep very hydrated.

SEL

Visit site
You're already on to keeping warm and hydrated. I actually have to make sure that I'm over-hot in the 30 mins before they aim for my arm. I also warn the doctors that once the cannula is in it needs to be stuck down asap otherwise it shoots out (last time it did that it also sprayed blood everywhere :mad: ) I tell them my best vein and ask them to put the tourniquet very tight - an A&E nurse who had served in Iraq used that trick.

If they struggled in the screening then I'm surprised they accepted you. In my one and only experience of a drug trial I suspect I would have been rejected if they hadn't easily managed to get the blood, despite the extremely tight criteria for candidates.

blitznbobs

Visit site
It’ll be fine .... they’ll flush it with hepsal if
Necessary - I’ve never had an
Issue getting blood out of anyone and I have worked in a and e for best part of 20 years - stress not