URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I went with a friend to see a horse yesterday - 16.3 11yr old middleweight hunter. She has had him 2 star vetted this morning and hes failed. Apparantly he is spasming in his back legs. She is currently trying to get hold of vet to find out his thoughts.

What we need to know is - what could cause this spasming in his back legs?
Any thoughts you clever people?

Alibear

Visit site
string halt, EPSM, shivers, wobblers some sort of neurological problem, or just plain old muscle weakness etc.

except if it's been spotted on a 2 stage vet that easily I be wary, but depends what the vet says and circumstances. But in general I'd run a mile..

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I thought maybe wobblers or shivers. And yes I had also thought if it was spotted on a two stage that it must be quite severe - although no sign of it when we tried him yesterday. Damn disappointing - perfect for what she wanted.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There's loads of horses out there for sale & even more at this time of year. Leave this one alone & find another. Why buy a horse with a problem like this, there's plenty for sale that are sound & just as lovely.
Good Luck with your search

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Well I have'nt been able to get hold of her. I've texted and left a message confirming what I first thought. All I have had back is she can't get hold of the vet and the owner has said it could be mid arthirtus and he shuld still be able to hunt but would just be a bit stiff the day after! And to make her an offer.
I shall keep trying to get hold of her but at the end of the day it is her decision.
What would you offer?
16.3 middleweight 11 years old, seen to weave, has hunted 5 seasons with Beaufort. Reasonably well schooled. Hacks out along fine. Real gentle giant.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well with what we know - free to a good home. And I'm deadly serious.

Sounds lovely - but to fail a 2* is something. It depends on what she's after though really - and if she can put up with the heartbreak of having something that could need putting down within the next couple of years.

She must speak with the vet.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well with what we know - free to a good home. And I'm deadly serious.

Sounds lovely - but to fail a 2* is something. It depends on what she's after though really - and if she can put up with the heartbreak of having something that could need putting down within the next couple of years.

She must speak with the vet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know - I've said all that. I also said if she is adamant to go through with it - to offer no more than £500.

Claireg9

Visit site
£200 as a gesture!

Poor horsey, its tough when you find the perfect one that is just not there in the vet department but like everyone else says... 2* fail
shocked.gif
if she has the money to pay the vets bills and she can take the heartache if it goes boobies up then go for it, otherwise, run.. Run as fast as you can!

sevenoceans

Visit site
Don't touch it with barge pole, could carry alot of problem and not forgetting money to ensure he get treatment if needed...

I got mine for nothing and he hunts and sounds excatly like what she wants!! But, he's sound and healthy and 17 years old with plenty of seasons left in him, and i am not getting rid of him.....

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Don't touch it with barge pole, could carry alot of problem and not forgetting money to ensure he get treatment if needed...

I got mine for nothing and he hunts and sounds excatly like what she wants!! But, he's sound and healthy and 17 years old with plenty of seasons left in him, and i am not getting rid of him.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes stunning!
Shes after something that she can do a bit of hunting on (only probably twice a month) and gernally have fund with, fun rides, a bit of show jumping etc etc. Must be sane - shes had her confidence knocked a bit by her ex point to pointer.

Happytohack

Visit site
If she wants to go hunting and a bit of showjumping - steer clear of this horse no matter how safe he is. If she just wants a safe horse to hack quietly, he would probably be ok. As posted before, there are a lot of horses for sale at the moment, and sadly this is one to say no to.