Urgent Advice Needed!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
After yet another blazing row at the yard that I am on, I feel that I have no alternative but to move one of the horses. Lots of reasons why only moving one at the moment and don't want to make post longer than necessary.

What I want to know is, is it possible to find a yard that will give 24 hour turnout now, and would it be possible for Mac to adjust to living out at this time of year! He is a Suffolk Punch X, so quite heavy, has been clipped but has heavy rug and coat is growing back.

Thanks

Kelly1982

Visit site
There are loads of yards round here that still do 24/7 turn out so i cant see why not.

I reckon that he will adjust fine being turned out now as long as he is well rugged. The weather isn't completly horrid yet so he still has time to adjust before the big freeze gets here.

Good luck x

Stasha22

Visit site
I have just been in a very similar situation to you. I had a horrendous row with my yard owner on Saturday morning and felt I had no choice but to move my mare asap.

Luckily my friend has a field 10 mins away so I moved her to there. She is a TB and she has gone from being stabled at night to living out 24/7 and is loving it!! She is well rugged, fed twice a day and we have lots of grass which helps.

Trust me, your horse will be absolutely fine and probably thoroughly enjoy living out.

Good luck.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Thanks for the advice. Will be phoning around at the weekend looking for places.

Another question (sorry), he has arthritis in his front fetlock. This is all part of what recent rows have been about as I like him to be turned out to walk off his stiffness in the mornings and now I'm not allowed but other horses are still going out. Would living out suit his condition, or should I consider stabling overnight etc. He is not a horse that gets over excited and charges around in the field and I personally think he would be a lot happier if he could plod about all the time.

ecrozier

Visit site
My mare has arthritis in her fetlock and both hocks, and probably her hips as well, and this is her first winter out 24/7 (she is 15). She is much happier, never stiffens up like she did overnight in the stable, in fact my vet recommended she be out as much as possible. She isn't clipped, but doesn't grow much coat, and my OH's horse is an ISH type, and she is out 24/7 with a full clip and decent rug (not as nice a rug as my horse's
wink.gif
) And they are both happy as pigs in poo (or mares in mud as might be more appropriate!)

Salcey

Visit site
I think they adapt to living out very well.
My mare kept getting cast a few winters ago, and as she was in foal at the time the vet recommended living out 24/7, she was also so big it wasn't safe to rug her anymore, so she went very quickly from living in rugged up to living out naked.
She was absolutely fine just stepped up feed accordingly. She was also the only one living out in a yard of 7.

Tia

Visit site
I agree - farms are the places to ask. Livery yard owners generally dislike 24/7 turnout during winter.

Good luck.