urgent advice needed

chunk

Visit site
i have just bought a 13.2hh mare. she has gone scabby and they seem to be irritating her when being ridden should i use a softer numnar or wash off with hibby scrub.

also my mums horse keeps shaking its head in the indoor school she has a pellum chain could that be affecting her in any way???
confused.gif

if you would get back to me i would realy appreciate it.

the watcher

Visit site
1) 13.2, scabby where..on the back? Is this pony rugged? If not could be rain scald..it does need treating and if you have never treated it before, find an experienced friend or check with your vet.

2) Headshaking..could be the curb chain..but why would it only happen indoors, or is the horse sufficiently distracted when out to forget to do it? Have you tried the horse in a different bit? So many other possibilities, ear mites or tooth discomfort for example

tanflislibs

Visit site
my horse head shakes sometimes as she's young and a leans like hell on the bit! no matter how gentle i am she just leans and eventually gets pressure in the mouth and starts shaking. i think "well stop leaning then!!" we are starting to stop her.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Re: The head shaking

Whats the surface in the school? If it's dusty that could be irratating and could cause the horse to react this way.

(Part of me thinks this post might be a piss take though).

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Whats the surface in the school? If it's dusty that could be irratating and could cause the horse to react this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did wonder..but always worry that somebody might be carrying on in blind ignorance and actually do some harm
confused.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ho hum Im skeptical too, espec as the 'urgent advice' that was needed hasnt been responded too...cant have needed it that urgently perhaps.

Blizzard

Visit site
Where are the scabs on your horse? Cant really help without knowing as you just said she had 'gone scabby'.

Regarding the school if its just the indoor school she does it in she could just be fidgeting if she is bored in there, or the surface, if it is dusty it may irritate her.

smile.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
Scabs could be anything, rainscald, mites, allergy, ill fitting tack etc etc. You need to be more specific. Where EXACTLY are the scabs, I presume they are round the saddle area but are they anywhere else on the horse? Are they small crusty scabs or scabs caused from something rubbing (i mean is there raw skin aswell as scabs??) If they are on the back you need to stop riding until they are healed, they need to be treated according to what caused them.

Recarding the head shaking, I cant really help as I have never seen or experienced this problem. But maybe if you think its the curb chain then you should take it off and see if the head still shakes?

Loopy_laura

Visit site
my horse has an allergy to fabric softner and the stuff they dip rugs in when the go to be cleaned! sould it be something like that? hope its getting better! x