URGENT ADVICE - not allowed to ride horse before vetting???

ImmyS

Visit site
Tried out a horse to buy twice, liked him, put deposit down and booked vetting for Thursday. Asked if I could come and ride horse again before vetting and have been told that due to regulations potential purchasers are not allowed to ride a horse until vetted in case of injury. Is this correct? Or should alarm bells be ringing?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Sounds like nonsense from a regulatory POV but if I were a seller I would be irritated at a request to ride again anyway. You are buying the horse subject to vetting so why do you need another ride? I would just assume you were either not 100% on the sale or you were wanting to just come for a jolly. And as viewings are time consuming I would be unhappy either way with that.

ihatework

Visit site
Tried out a horse to buy twice, liked him, put deposit down and booked vetting for Thursday. Asked if I could come and ride horse again before vetting and have been told that due to regulations potential purchasers are not allowed to ride a horse until vetted in case of injury. Is this correct? Or should alarm bells be ringing?

For me not especially, given you have tried the horse twice already.
I presume this is a professional set up? Don’t underestimate how time consuming/disruptive managing horse viewings are.
Don’t get me wrong, it would be nice if they would oblige, but I don’t think it’s a huge red flag

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If I were the seller I would be wanting to ensure that the horse was kept safe and uninjured between now and vetting.
As a buyer I wouldn't expect to go and view a horse after the vetting was arranged as the deal is done if they have stopped other viewings.

So no, alarm bells would not be ringing it seems eminently sensible to me.

ImmyS

Visit site
THank you for replies. I understand from sellers point of view. I've always loaned or bought horses I already know without vetting so this is new territory for me. Don't worry I don't expect a free ride or a jolly, just checking this is normal procedure. ��

GoldenWillow

Visit site
When I've had vettings done they've always been done with the horse being cold, so to speak, as it will help any stiffness show up.

Blixen Vixen

Visit site
There’s nothing suspicious in them not wanting you to ride again. You’re taking the horse subject to vetting. I’m sure they simply have other things to be doing in preference to arranging and facilitating more rides for you. Good luck with the vetting.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
When I've had vettings done they've always been done with the horse being cold, so to speak, as it will help any stiffness show up.

I had a vetting done recently and the vet specifically stated the horse was to be kept in for some time before. Sorry can't remember how long it was but only a few hours. I think it was to do with flexion tests.

stormox

Visit site
You've tried the horse twice and decided to buy it. Why would you want to ride it again? Suppose something did happen- horses can tread on things, lose shoes etc no fault of buyer or seller - and it wasnt able to be vetted? A waste of everybodies time. Usually vets dont want horses excercised prior to doing a vetting anyway.

ImmyS

Visit site
You've tried the horse twice and decided to buy it. Why would you want to ride it again? Suppose something did happen- horses can tread on things, lose shoes etc no fault of buyer or seller - and it wasnt able to be vetted? A waste of everybodies time. Usually vets dont want horses excercised prior to doing a vetting anyway.

Completely understand. Was just having a panicky moment as this is a big step for me. All parties involved happy and awaiting vetting, just hoping he passes ��

Equi

Visit site
I think you're just a bit excited but do think of it business like until then. Good luck with it!

conniegirl

Visit site
I really don’t understand the whole trying horses multiple times, you either like the horse or you don’t. If it doesn’t make your heart sing after the first ride then it’s not the horse for you.

I’ve never been to see a horse more than once even when buying for disabled riders or children.
I have to say if I were a seller I’d be miffed at the second viewing (unless 1st viewing was an agent and 2nd the actual purchaser or if some facilities couldn’t be used the first time round) but I would tolerate it however if someone was after a 3rd ride I’d consider them a joy rider with no intention of actually buying.
Any good horse sells easily anyway, if it’s not a horse that is going to sell easily then the likelihood is that it’s probably unsuitable for someone who needs to ride the horse several times before making a decision.

_GG_

Visit site
Just popping in to say best of luck for Thursday. Sounds like you are just eager and the sellers are careful and professional. It all sounds kind of perfectly, innocently lovely to me so I really hope the horse passes for you xx

Equi

Visit site
I really don’t understand the whole trying horses multiple times, you either like the horse or you don’t. If it doesn’t make your heart sing after the first ride then it’s not the horse for you.

I’ve never been to see a horse more than once even when buying for disabled riders or children.
I have to say if I were a seller I’d be miffed at the second viewing (unless 1st viewing was an agent and 2nd the actual purchaser or if some facilities couldn’t be used the first time round) but I would tolerate it however if someone was after a 3rd ride I’d consider them a joy rider with no intention of actually buying.
Any good horse sells easily anyway, if it’s not a horse that is going to sell easily then the likelihood is that it’s probably unsuitable for someone who needs to ride the horse several times before making a decision.

Everyone has different views and needs. You clearly look at the horses you view in a more business like way, which is fine, but some people want more of a connection.

conniegirl

Visit site
Everyone has different views and needs. You clearly look at the horses you view in a more business like way, which is fine, but some people want more of a connection.

I most certainly don’t see them in a business like way. All mine are very much part of the family, loved beyond reason and there is certainly no lack of “connection,” infact I’ve previously been accused of loving them too much and taking too many risks because I love the horse

Having to ride a horse several times before deciding normally means there is no connection and you are trying to force one. If there is a connection then you should know it straight away hence my comment about “making your heart sing.” If buying for myself I won’t even ride the horse if it’s personality doesn’t connect with me on the ground as there is no point wasting anyone’s time, the riding is normally just to check it doesn’t try to kill me and does what it’s advertised to do. My current lad I had actually decided within 5 mins of handling him on the ground, that I had to have him, but equally whilst searching for him I turned away some nice horses simply because they didn’t connect with me on a basic level

Maybe I’m just old fashioned, this trying horses several times is a relatively new thing.

Equi

Visit site
I most certainly don’t see them in a business like way. All mine are very much part of the family, loved beyond reason and there is certainly no lack of “connection,” infact I’ve previously been accused of loving them too much and taking too many risks because I love the horse

Having to ride a horse several times before deciding normally means there is no connection and you are trying to force one. If there is a connection then you should know it straight away hence my comment about “making your heart sing.” If buying for myself I won’t even ride the horse if it’s personality doesn’t connect with me on the ground as there is no point wasting anyone’s time, the riding is normally just to check it doesn’t try to kill me and does what it’s advertised to do. My current lad I had actually decided within 5 mins of handling him on the ground, that I had to have him, but equally whilst searching for him I turned away some nice horses simply because they didn’t connect with me on a basic level

Maybe I’m just old fashioned, this trying horses several times is a relatively new thing.

But again everyones different. When i went to see my horse it was a friend who said "i have a horse you may like to part loan" and on the ground he was a nightmare. Spooky, eyes on stalks, bargy, did not stand still to mount, had NO respect etc. Just horrible. At the time i was unconfident in riding anyway so that was like wtf am i even thinking getting on. Despite what i thought and my terror my friend encouraged me (cause she knew me better than my fear) and i rode him and he was totally fine to ride. so i took him on and we had many moments but i did eventually buy him after my friend taking us out many places etc and i would class him as my life time horse lol but had he been a horse i was viewing to buy i would not have even considered getting on.

Another (before my horse) was i tried her at home and she was lovely, at my yard she was a wreck. For two months i tried calming her, in hand and ground work and she just did not settle and was horrifically stressed and a nightmare to ride. Thankfully she was a loan and went back, if i had tried that horse once and bought her i would have been ****ed.

I think the reason so many people end up either over-horsed or overwhelmed is that they rush into a sale and then are stuck with a horse they own and don't know what to do with If you are a water off a ducks back rider thats ok, but many are not. They can be fine on the first ride AT HOME but be totally different at a new yard.

ImmyS

Visit site
Just popping in to say best of luck for Thursday. Sounds like you are just eager and the sellers are careful and professional. It all sounds kind of perfectly, innocently lovely to me so I really hope the horse passes for you xx

Thank you very much _GG_ will keep you updated 😊

ImmyS

Visit site

Hi two viewings because horse is for me to buy and friend to share, I viewed first time and liked so friend came and tried him second time - deposit put down. Easier then trying to organise both of us to view a horse and it turns out totally unsuitable. I don't feel like seller felt we were wasting time.

be positive

Visit site
Hi two viewings because horse is for me to buy and friend to share, I viewed first time and liked so friend came and tried him second time - deposit put down. Easier then trying to organise both of us to view a horse and it turns out totally unsuitable. I don't feel like seller felt we were wasting time.

I have sold plenty and always encourage a second viewing if they seem suitable/ genuine, I never feel it a waste of time because I want the horse to go to the right home and know that at the first viewing it can be difficult to do exactly what you want in the time, second view I let them tack up and get on first then often they will hack or do more jumping than managed at the first, I would rather have some wasted time than sell to the wrong home.
Buying it depends on the horse and rider, some we barely try others view once or twice, if the seller is not prepared for a second try then I would be inclined to leave it rather than rush into something, yes you tend to know but for most people who have limited experience it can be easy to get carried away and buy for the wrong reasons without having a decent trial, so many first time buyers end up taking on a horse they know little about and get a very different horse than the one they imagined.

That said I can see why they won't allow a third try but if you have not done something that is important to you, such as hacking alone, then I would allow it and be prepared to lose the sale if the horse did not go as expected.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
That said I can see why they won't allow a third try but if you have not done something that is important to you, such as hacking alone, then I would allow it and be prepared to lose the sale if the horse did not go as expected.

OP is not talking about a third trial though - the sale is already agreed and horse taken off market. I would not let a buyer ride again in those circumstances for all the reasons others have expressed.

Having said that I did once view a pony 3 times. But I think that Conniegirl hit the nail on the head. I did not connect with the pony but he was foot perfect so I was trying to make myself want him as I was sick of looking at totally unsuitable ponies. So when I rang to say 'no thanks' and was asked why I did not really have any reason. Buyer persuaded me to try again and ride him out more. So I went back and liked him much more. But I was still reluctant to buy. There was something about him that I just did not trust. Sounds silly but he gave off an odd vibe. Seller sent me some ace video of a young girl on him and I found a FB page set to public that featured him and he looked great. So against my better judgement I went back AGAIN with a friend who hated him instantly and that made my mind up for me. No idea why we both reacted against him.

Every horse I have actually ended up buying has been bought on the first viewing. And thinking about it every horse i have sold has also been sold after 1 viewing. When you know you know!

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
OP is not talking about a third trial though - the sale is already agreed and horse taken off market. I would not let a buyer ride again in those circumstances for all the reasons others have expressed.

/QUOTE]

But in theory it would be a 3rd trial and I agree in the circumstances it is a risk so can understand why they said no but as I said if the buyer wanted to do something they had for some reason been unable to then I would weigh up the risk and may take a chance of losing the sale if the horse did something unexpected, the sale may be agreed and the horse off the market but it is not sold until fully paid for and until then the buyer or seller can pull out at any point, they may lose the deposit but that's life.

I pulled out of one sale after the vetting, horse passed but they started to question a few things in his history that I knew in full including deciding he was 3 years older than he was and tried to say he had "failed" probably attempting to get the price down, I had bad vibes and withdrew him from that deal, they hadn't left a deposit but if they had I would have returned it.

The best thing for the OP is to attend the vetting when you can see the horse in various situations that can be enlightening, but don't expect to be allowed to ride for the vet.

WandaMare

Visit site
As a buyer I would respect the sellers decision to refuse the 3rd ride, but it would definitely make me tread more carefully with the sale. I'm not saying it shows they have something to hide but it makes the chance slightly more likely.

TGM

Visit site
The only concern I would have is that IF there was a possibility they were a dodgy seller, the horse may have been doped to make it quiet to ride for the viewings. In such a case the seller wouldn't want the potential buyer riding again close to the vetting, because they would either have to dope it again to make it quiet and risk having traces show up in blood tests or not dope it and risk having the horse misbehave and lose the sale.

However, if you are having a five star vetting and the horse is broken to ride, it will be ridden as part of the vetting process, but it would be good to be present at the vetting to see how the horse behaves, even if you can't ride it again yourself.

Caol Ila

Visit site
All three horses I've bought I viewed more than once (not including the vetting). To be honest, it was the norm in Colorado and I think the sellers would have found it a little worrying if I hadn't wanted to see the horse a second time. The ones I didn't buy I only viewed once. If I liked the horse the first time, I made another appointment to go back for a second viewing. Different day, different time, do different things. I haven't screwed up a purchase yet and bought the wrong horse.