URGENT! Breeding advice please!

juliehannah58

Visit site
I have just been told that my mare has done a tendon, and it looks like a long time off. After talking to my vet, I have decided to try and put her in foal ASAP. There is an excellent stud quite near me, and apparently the vet in charge is the best reproductive vet in the UK, they will source semen from any stud in the UK that does AI.

Obviously I am racing against time here, she is 15 and has had 2 foals previously very easily (covered naturally and took first time) the last foal she had was 3 this year, so not that long ago.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a top notch showjumping stallion, ideally Irish bred (she is 3/4 ID with king of diamonds blood) that caters for AI?? Am looking perhaps Cruising lines or similar.......Has to be an out and out jumper with preferably proven stock (I know, I don't want much do I?!).

ANYONE HELP????? I have to really get a move on and time is of the essense.

Any advice info much appreciated !

In haste, confused from Sussex
frown.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
Jumbo? Legaun Prince / Skippy line but he is certainly a proven jumping sire. Don't know if he does AI - probably.

Otherwise loads of stallions listed on the Sports Horse GB website.

My mare is currently in foal to Weston Justice - lovely horse and definitely does AI but he is more of an eventing sire than a SJer.

_jetset_

Visit site
I don't have any advice for you I'm afraid, but have you looked on the internet? Also, I just want to make sure you have thought all of this through. I am sure you have but I was greatful when someone talked me through all the things I needed to consider when breeding from my mare.

It is not a decision to be taken lightly, which again I am sure you know. But just make sure you are breeding for the right reasons.

BuckingHorse

Visit site
We've used Animo and Unbelievable Darco, both throw nice quality stock and Darco particularly has fab temprement too. Both based in West Sussex.

juliehannah58

Visit site
We have been considering breeding from her since she has had leg trouble (nearly 3 months now, but she has only just gone lame) as she was going into foal in 2008 anyway, I have spoken to a few very experienced people who ensure me that it is OK to breed at this late stage, as long as we move very quickly! One of my dearest friends was the first lady in the UK to use AI so I have experienced people around to support us. Thanks anway, Jumbo is definitely one I will look into!
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
I didn't mean to patronise you, after all I am only breeding my first foal at the moment so have virtually no experience. I hope it didn't come across like that...

I was the same as you. I had been thinking of breeding from Hannah in a few years time, but then I had to live in London for a month and a bit and couldn't leave Hannah at home and not being ridden because she gets so silly, and my instructor could not guarantee being able to take her in, so it just sort of happened that she went to stud.

I think people are against breeding so late in the year if they want to re-breed from the mare the year later.

Are you thinking of keeping the foal? Jumbo is fabulous, my friend almost used him before she decided to breed a racehorse from her mare.

Rambo

Visit site
Sorry to hear Mare is not good Julie
frown.gif

You obviously know that Brendon Stud (Unbelievable Darco and Caretino Glory) is close by, as is the Gustavii Stud at Uckfield...

They don't meet your criteria of Irish, but both are renowned for producing some top jumpers, and with Marey's underlying quality a good foal could be on the cards...

Good luck in your quest
smile.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
Jumbo looks lovely but looks to be more of an eventing sire than a jumper, does anyone know of any showjumpers by Jumbo?? He is certainly well known, which is good. Yes the foal will 99% be a keeper, and as I mainly just jump, I ideally want it to do the same! If it's half as good as it's mum it will be a cracker
smile.gif

No, don't get me wrong, I'm very nervous as well as excited and it has all been much more rushed than I would have liked! BUT you have to take positives from bad situations, so hopefully this will work out.
crazy.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
TE I really like the look of Exander, he sounds lovely. What do you think about breeding back into the same lines, my mare is Grand Daughter to KOD, are there risks???

If anyone else has views on breeding back into the same lines I'd be interested to hear them
confused.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
I've never done it myself, but the germans do it all the time, and it seems to be something they heartily approve of (ie. they will point out "goes back to X four times in pedigree" etc). I don't know much about Exander, but having used Twemlows for mine this year I looked at what they had. If you have the money I'd look in to Coolcorran Cool Diamond as suggested - he's a serious operator! Best of luck with her, I tried with my mare last year when she put herself out in the June, but she didn't take until this year so fingers crossed for you.

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
i know that you want an irish horse but Grannex is a fantastic jumping sir and his progency is well proven he alos really stamps his stock . He does ai and his fertility rate is very good