URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Pony was brought in this afternoon. First time I've had him in a stable, and he proceeded to munch on his straw bed. Argghhh! I've removed all the bits of corn husk, but am at a loss as to what to do! can't get anywhere to get and Jeyes/Stardrops or shavings...

What can I do??

He's already huge, will it hurt him? (he's on a diet!)

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bang goes the diet!...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

NOT funny
tongue.gif

pottamus

Visit site
I don't think it does any harm in small doses but I would not want him to eat straw and nothing else...will he not be tempted by any hay?

Happytohack

Visit site
Not good for him to eat too much. The hibiscrub idea is a good one. When I had a bed-eater, I used to muck out and always put the clean straw on to the floor and dirtier straw on top. As he has just come in, all of his bed is nice an clean and tasty. In the long run, you might have to consider putting him on to an alternative bedding.

fizzer

Visit site
i wud make up a solution of disinfectant and spray on top of bedding, that shud do it, worked for my greedy pony

Dotilas

Visit site
This is disgusting, but worked with my boy when he was on straw.

Go down and muck him out, and only take a bit of the wet out. Mix the rest in with his straw. As far as I have seen, most horses don't eat their own pee :p

watcherathome

Visit site
Would agree with mixing in dirty bedding, I used to do this, so be sparing when you muck out tomorrow. Suggest you dampen the hay to make it more appealing