Urgent ideas required

Lammy

Visit site
I have been at the yard for 2.5 hours trying to bandage the upper leg of my stupid horse. He has staples on a wound that were put in yesterday but everything so far is coming off within 3/4 hours. I cannot take it anymore!!

Tried duct tape, surgical tape, sticky vet wrap, adhesive patches, stable bandage, normal vet wrap. Loosing the will to live and shooting him is looking more appealing especially considering the vet bill I got today.

Help!!!! Any ideas welcome.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Never tried bandaging and upper leg- have you tried using human fabric plaster dressing strip to attach the top- the glue’s pretty strong! ....or boob tape?

indie1282

Visit site
I have been at the yard for 2.5 hours trying to bandage the upper leg of my stupid horse. He has staples on a wound that were put in yesterday but everything so far is coming off within 3/4 hours. I cannot take it anymore!!

Tried duct tape, surgical tape, sticky vet wrap, adhesive patches, stable bandage, normal vet wrap. Loosing the will to live and shooting him is looking more appealing especially considering the vet bill I got today.

Help!!!! Any ideas welcome.

What is the actual problem? Is it falling down? Horse pulling it off? Is it a front or back leg.

spoo

Visit site
You need an Elastoplast type tape to tape around the top and bottom of the bandage, half on the bandage half on the fur.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I don't have any specific suggestions, but is it worth calling the surgery and asking to speak to a vet nurse for some ideas - they will no doubt have seen injuries pretty much everywhere on horses and will likely have some tried and tested solutions. Good luck! xx

Lammy

Visit site
Thanks guys finally managed to duct tape a plaster to him basically, it just kept slipping down every time and he wasn’t even moving that much. It’s right but can get a finger in it at some places think it’s the best we’re gunna get. Most awkward place on the outside top of the front leg, below the line where you’d clip.

Hopefully it survives the night at least. Already had a bit of a crying meltdown don’t want another!

Lammy

Visit site
No he only tried to itch it when there was no cover on it...of course that being when he had a mouth covered in food. He got a lecture on infection risk.

My masterpiece...

5382AD76-9759-4F79-BB3E-229778E1ED14.jpeg

eggs

Visit site
When my horse had to have a large wound on his hind thigh bandaged my vet advised using glue to keep the bandage in place!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Pollster bandage wonderful stuff from wounds to mending rugs I don’t know how I managed without it .

Hack4fun

Visit site
My horse had surgery at the back of its upper leg - even the veterinary hospital found it difficult to get anything to stay on. You have done well, very well. Don't be downcast.

DD

Visit site
something to go on the leg like a sleeve then over the top and onto the opposite leg like sleeve to help hold it all in place.

BOWS28

Visit site
XL tubigrip worked for us! The one that is designed for a thigh sized limb lol. I then secured it with t*t tape as i had it in the car from the night out before hand hahaha. Poor girl looked a right sight:D

ponyparty

Visit site
That's exactly where my boy had to be bandaged recently - I put a dressing on the wound, then a couple of layers of gamgee, then vet wrap, then at the top and bottom some sticky plaster type bandage - got it from the vet, haven't bought any more so not sure what it's called. Pink/human plaster coloured stuff and very sticky, it ripped out some of his fur and has left little bald patches on his legs where it was. It did slip still, but not as quickly as yours has by the sounds of it - by the next day it would have slipped a bit but not enough to matter. I feel your pain, such an awkward place to bandage!

honetpot

Visit site
What you need is the pyjama jacket from the cow suit from Middlemarch. Whoops, Cranford. Perhaps a show hood with leg extentsions.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 5