Use of whip in racing study results

teagreen

Visit site
Going to take a lot to get the whip banned, and racing will never be banned. Thank goodness :D

We've discussed this before, but I believe the whip does make a difference - I strongly believe it doesn't hurt them at all and has a lot of use as a safety aid. I believe it would be very difficult to keep many horses straight without a whip and we'd see possibly dangerous situations occuring if they took it away. If you've ever held a racing whip you'll have seen that it is about as far away from an instrument of torture as you can get, and the punishments for misuse are so high (see Jason Maguire..) that I think it is safe and humane enough as it is.

Over2You

Visit site
the sooner the whip is banned from racing, the better. The sooner racing is banned, even better.

Could not agree more!! I am glad I am not the only one who thinks it has no place in the 21st century. We ban all kinds of animal fighting, fox hunting, badger baiting, etc. But, see nothing wrong in allowing a 'sport' to continue which kills more than one-hundred horses a year. A 'sport' in which animals routinely die from horrific injuries. Not to mention the gargantuan amount of over-breeding which sees hundreds more animals slaughtered or shot at birth for having the audacity of being born with minor defects. Of course all this is condoned by saying the hoses love doing it, that other other horse sports have their own fatalities too, and the horses would be dead if it were banned. However, this 'love' these animals show is nothing more than the result of herd instinct. As several top racehorse trainers have said: "We have harnessed their fear." When wild horses run in a similar manner to racehorses, they are doing so out of fear. The whip is perceived by them as a predator on their backs and in fact run faster to try and rid themselves of the threat. Take a look at this report by Animal Aid. It defies belief that people will actually advocate the use of a whip.

The sheer amount of over-breeding is caused by greed and continually goes unpunished. People are shocked and appalled by dogs being churned out in puppy mills, but see no problem with the massive surplus of racehorses. Owners of puppy mills are quite often brought up on charges of animal cruelty, but horse breeders get away scot-free.

As I have said before, I have been watching show jumping regularly for at least twenty-years and can count on one hand the number of fatalities I have been witness to. But, at just ONE meeting (the Cheltenham Festival of Death), more than thirty horses have perished since 1999. Including SIX on a SINGLE day. In endurance racing, the heart/respiration rates of the horses are regularly inspected, and fatalities are rare. Unlike regular racing where horses frequently die of heart attacks and collapse of exhaustion. Of course those things are only made more likely by jockeys who continue to whip fatigued animals over the finish line.

You pro-racing lot disgust me!!

Over2You

Visit site
Going to take a lot to get the whip banned, and racing will never be banned. Thank goodness :D

We've discussed this before, but I believe the whip does make a difference - I strongly believe it doesn't hurt them at all and has a lot of use as a safety aid. I believe it would be very difficult to keep many horses straight without a whip and we'd see possibly dangerous situations occuring if they took it away. If you've ever held a racing whip you'll have seen that it is about as far away from an instrument of torture as you can get, and the punishments for misuse are so high (see Jason Maguire..) that I think it is safe and humane enough as it is.

If it does not hurt, then why do a lot of racehorse get weals? Read the link I provided in my last post. It proves that FACT!!

teagreen

Visit site
A horse can feel a fly land on it . . . . just imagine what a whip really feels like? Have you ever been whacked with a whip as hard as jockeys whack horses? Try it sometime

Ever been hit with a racing whip? Think it hurts a thoroughbred in full gallop? Watch a race and see how many times a jockey actually hits the horse - much of the time they are just waving it.

Over2You, I can't be bothered writing out yet another reply to you because I know we've argued before and neither of our opinions will change.

People who think racing should be banned are ridiculous. What on earth do you suppose we do with all the horses and people involved with it?

Jennyharvey

Visit site
Ever been hit with a racing whip? Think it hurts a thoroughbred in full gallop? Watch a race and see how many times a jockey actually hits the horse - much of the time they are just waving it.

Over2You, I can't be bothered writing out yet another reply to you because I know we've argued before and neither of our opinions will change.

People who think racing should be banned are ridiculous. What on earth do you suppose we do with all the horses and people involved with it?

For a start, there would be a lot less horses suffering in the industry, and far fewer dying in races and training. There would also be a lot less ex racers desperately looking for new homes after there racing careers are over.
I dont reckon racing will ever be banned, as there is too much at stake financially. But if it was, we would stop over breeding them, and over time, there would be less and less to suffer because of human ego and greed.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Ah bless you for your naivety - and whilst I agree that the whip may have a place for keeping the horse straight, clearly being hit with any kind of stick (and yes I'm very familiar with a racing whip) is going to hurt when used hard enough.

I love racing - but firmly believe that whips should have no place in them.

teagreen

Visit site
For a start, there would be a lot less horses suffering in the industry, and far fewer dying in races and training. There would also be a lot less ex racers desperately looking for new homes after there racing careers are over.
I dont reckon racing will ever be banned, as there is too much at stake financially. But if it was, we would stop over breeding them, and over time, there would be less and less to suffer because of human ego and greed.

Ok, so say it is banned tomorrow. What do you think will happen to the hundreds of thousands of horses currently involved in the racing industry? It would be impossible to find all the animals homes, and people would throw there arms up when they learn they were just being slaughtered, or left neglected because there is no money or people to care for them.

And what about the people employed by racing? Thousands of people suddenly out of the job they love - not just stable staff, but jockeys, those employed at racecourses, vets, farriers, admin staff.

If you banned racing, it would be a LONG time until the 'suffering' you speak of stops. It wouldn't stop in a year, it wouldn't stop in two years, it wouldn't stop until every animal destined for or already in the racing industry had been rehomed correctly or was dead, and considering the fact we already have trouble finding homes for ex-racers, you really think injecting a million more would help?

Banning racing is not viable in any way. It would make equine suffering a hell of a lot worse before it made it any better. People should be campaigning for REAL suffering to stop before they hit on the racing industry, something which they probably know very little about other than reading Animal Aid's sensationalist and very over dramatic reporting.

teagreen

Visit site
Ah bless you for your naivety - and whilst I agree that the whip may have a place for keeping the horse straight, clearly being hit with any kind of stick (and yes I'm very familiar with a racing whip) is going to hurt when used hard enough.

I love racing - but firmly believe that whips should have no place in them.

Dear, I'm not naive, I used to spend many a fun hour running around a racing yard with a racing stick hitting my friends, and it hurt - we were relaxed and standing still and giggling and if you got a hell of an arm behind it, it did sting the flesh. Though it never left the same mark that hitting each other with a 'normal' riding whip did..

I agree, it's going to hurt when used hard enough. However, if it was used 'hard enough' every time a jockey hit a horse (particularly these often thin skinned TB's), they would come back marked every time. I daresay they'd come back anxious, flinching, a horse in pain. But they don't. Those that do come back marked aren't ignored, the jockey is banned. Jockeys are often banned when the horse comes back absolutely fine and showing no adverse effects whatsoever - there is always someone watching out for and ready to punish the jockey who uses the whip too much.

I know they can feel it but I don't believe it really hurts them, causes them an unacceptable level of pain, otherwise you'd see a lot more signs than you do just now. But I'm not stupid and I agree with whoever it was who wrote in The Telegraph at the time this study came up and said we will never truely know about the impact of the whip until we have talking horses. Until then, I haven't seen any that have been horrifically damaged by the whip in racing.

It's a shame for racing that it is so high profile and that whips are called 'whips'. For the amount of 'suffering' racehorses I've seen, I've seen a hell of a lot more proper suffering in the showing, dressage and showjumping worlds. I've seen spurs misused frequently in various different places, but I don't disagree with using spurs - it is the rider who hurts the horse, not the spurs. Same with the whip in racing, and luckily those who misuse it are punished. I really believe it is a useful tool during a race for getting a lazy horse going, for keeping them straight, for preventing accidents - but I don't believe it causes vast amounts of suffering.

millitiger

Visit site
The people who think the whip should be banned from racing, do you also think it should be banned from sports like eventing?

I think perhaps they should be not be used to in the finish of the race but I think they are very important for helping to straighten the horse when jumping- jockeys can hardly use their legs for this the same way a normal rider with longer stirrups can.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The people who think the whip should be banned from racing, do you also think it should be banned from sports like eventing?

I think perhaps they should be not be used to in the finish of the race but I think they are very important for helping to straighten the horse when jumping- jockeys can hardly use their legs for this the same way a normal rider with longer stirrups can.

No MT - I don't think it should be banned from sports like eventing.

My issue with the whip in racing is that a jockey will pick up his stick and beat a tired horse (who really has nothing more to give) across the line.

Megan_T

Visit site
What would happen to the TB breed if racing was banned? I mean PURE TB's..... would be a very sad day if the breed disappeared....

I have to agree with the point that there is a hell of a lot of unseen suffering in other equine sports too. I have had beautiful, strong showjumpers returned to me (as a groom) after being worked with blood dripping from their sides from being spurred and sweating like I have never, ever seen - shaking from head to toe. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Although it suits some people's mentality to think that...

I am on and off deciding about the use of the whip in racing - but I certainly don't think it should be banned. I honestly believe that they do enjoy it - I've seen enough TB's refuse to start to believe that if they don't want to, they won't! Lol.

Who knows - they'll always be a rift with this one, as with many other things in life - it's what the makes the world go around.

millitiger

Visit site
No MT - I don't think it should be banned from sports like eventing.

My issue with the whip in racing is that a jockey will pick up his stick and beat a tired horse (who really has nothing more to give) across the line.

So do you really want the whip banned from racing then?

Or as I said above, ban them from using it in the finish?
I am pretty sure BE has a rule that you can't whip a horse after the last fence- perhaps racing could have a similar rule?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Or as I said above, ban them from using it in the finish?
I am pretty sure BE has a rule that you can't whip a horse after the last fence- perhaps racing could have a similar rule? [/i]

Yes, possibly that would be the way to go.

pastie2

Visit site
If it does not hurt, then why do a lot of racehorse get weals? Read the link I provided in my last post. It proves that FACT!!

Crikey o2y. I dont think that I have ever read such niave, ill informed **** before. If I was ever to come back to this earth again, I would like to be a racehorse. They have the most wonderful life, well provided for, people that understand the breed and their instinct to gallop is fullfilled. Yes it is a huge industry that employs thousands and thousands of people, it also gives huge pleasure to millions. In every equine sport there is the seedier side I can assure you. Racing is the biggest and most tellevised of all of them, and the fatalities happen and the world sees them. They are not strapped down with all sorts of equipment, they are trained to run and if the whip is used it is an encouragement for the horse to keep its mind on the job. The racing whip is designed not to make weals on a horse, it is an essential bit of kit to use in a race to keep a horse straight and keep him up to his job.
A racehorse in training is not whipped, nor does it have spurs dug into its ribs and do you know, it never has a blue tongue! So before you write such emotive rubbish look at the bigger picture.

use a name

Visit site
oh my gosh.i cant beleive what some of youn are saying.the cruelty that goes on in racing is disgusting.and its all well to say that horses are are injured in other sports,but they are GERERALLY injured due to accidents etc.on the other hand in racing,it causes SOO much damage to the body.and the amount of youngsters put down when they arnt sold...:mad:

teagreen

Visit site
oh my gosh.i cant beleive what some of youn are saying.the cruelty that goes on in racing is disgusting.and its all well to say that horses are are injured in other sports,but they are GERERALLY injured due to accidents etc.on the other hand in racing,it causes SOO much damage to the body.and the amount of youngsters put down when they arnt sold...:mad:

:rolleyes:

What do you suggest we do then, ban it? I'd love to be a racehorse myself, the treatment they get is second to none. Rather be a racehorse than one of the thousands of poor horses standing around in mud filled fields with no job to do, quietly getting thinner.

pastie2

Visit site

As you dont seem to be able to have a clue about the english language, I doubt that you have the first notion about horse racing, sorry.

use a name

Visit site
Oh whatever.I was in a rush,thats such a petty thing to say.Hardly to do with the point is it.It still stands.Although i will agree with how many horses are mistreated in other situations.Its all sick

use a name

Visit site
Oh my gosh.I cant beleive what some of you are saying.The cruelty that goes on in racing is disgusting,and its all well to say that horses are injured in other sports,but they are GENERALLY injured due to accidents etc.On the other hand in racing,it causes SOO much damage to the body,and the amount of youngsters put down when they arnt sold... :mad:

Better for you...

Tiny Fluffy Coblet

Visit site
I think a lot of things need to change in racing a long time before we get to use of the whip, that at least is VERY tightly controlled. I don't have a problem with racing in itself but the racing industry...that needs to enter the 21st century.

I find racing 2 year olds unacceptable and I think the training needs to take into account the risks associated with microtrauma and build up the skeletal system more before fast work is started. No youngster should get bucked shins if enough time is taken. I think that the 1st of Jan birthday needs review as it means that some of the later foaled youngsters are barely long yearlings when backed. I think the industry needs to take more responsibility for the fallout and retraining. I think that the feeding regimes (tons of starch in big meals isn't exactly what the horses gut evolved to deal with) and the care (stabling 24/7) needs to be examined and changed.

HOWEVER as long as racing and betting are multi-billion pound industries then money will be the main consideration. Though I believe that it is wrong to keep horses in all the time I can appreciate the terror associated with turning 1/2 a million or more pounds worth of super-fit horseflesh out in the field for a buck and fart. Though on the other hand if they were turned out regularly throughout their lives the risk if them going loopy and injuring themselves would be much lower....

Jennyharvey

Visit site
:rolleyes:

What do you suggest we do then, ban it? I'd love to be a racehorse myself, the treatment they get is second to none. Rather be a racehorse than one of the thousands of poor horses standing around in mud filled fields with no job to do, quietly getting thinner.

Even tho i would love it to be banned, its never going to be. There is far too much money at stake.
Maybe its a shame your not a racehorse now? Then maybe if you come back again as a human, you will think differently. Being a racehorse is a tuff life, yes horses are allowed to run, but they are also pushed way too far.
I think if more people were able to experience life from an animals perspective, we might change how we feel about them, and treat them.

JessPickle

Visit site
I read this, I thought calling it a study was a bit rich considering it was 5 races on one day at one racecourse. Sounds like a jolly nice day out for someone not a study to me.

teagreen

Visit site
Even tho i would love it to be banned, its never going to be. There is far too much money at stake.
Maybe its a shame your not a racehorse now? Then maybe if you come back again as a human, you will think differently. Being a racehorse is a tuff life, yes horses are allowed to run, but they are also pushed way too far.
I think if more people were able to experience life from an animals perspective, we might change how we feel about them, and treat them.

Well we're never going to be able to 'experience life from an animals perspective' because we're humans.
There are a lot of horses around me - including 2 jump racing yards and hundreds more 'pet' horses.
The racehorses are turned out everyday - we pass them rolling about in their fields. They spend the night on deep shaving beds with the best quality hay and feed and fresh water, and every morning the same lass will take their rugs off and groom them and then take them out - either for a hack on the roads or in the country, for some work in the school or a few turns up the all weather gallop. They are cooled off, groomed, and let outside for the afternoon. If they are injured, they are given the absolute best vet care possible, and they spend the summer months 'roughed off' next to our farm, lazing about a massive grass field with a shelter and are checked everyday. Sometimes they get to go racing, and they seem to bound up the ramp with the enthusiasm of a horse going hunting. If they do happen to be injured on the track, they are put out of their misery within 5 minutes of the injury happening.

Today I went for a walk and passed a field of ponies. It was a tiny field without a blade of grass in it, it was just pure mud as I'm sure so many little fields are just now. They had a shelter, but it had no bottom or bedding in it, it was just pure mud too. They have a scummy bowl of water and it would seem that once a week, someone throws a bit of hay in for them. The field is lined by rubbish, and they spend all day every day in it - I have never once seen anyone speaking to them or riding them - an old man chucks hay in every so often and that's it. They look bored, thin and miserable.

I'd rather be the racehorse thanks.

Allover

Visit site
I think a lot of things need to change in racing a long time before we get to use of the whip, that at least is VERY tightly controlled. I don't have a problem with racing in itself but the racing industry...that needs to enter the 21st century.

I find racing 2 year olds unacceptable and I think the training needs to take into account the risks associated with microtrauma and build up the skeletal system more before fast work is started. No youngster should get bucked shins if enough time is taken. I think that the 1st of Jan birthday needs review as it means that some of the later foaled youngsters are barely long yearlings when backed. I think the industry needs to take more responsibility for the fallout and retraining. I think that the feeding regimes (tons of starch in big meals isn't exactly what the horses gut evolved to deal with) and the care (stabling 24/7) needs to be examined and changed.

HOWEVER as long as racing and betting are multi-billion pound industries then money will be the main consideration. Though I believe that it is wrong to keep horses in all the time I can appreciate the terror associated with turning 1/2 a million or more pounds worth of super-fit horseflesh out in the field for a buck and fart. Though on the other hand if they were turned out regularly throughout their lives the risk if them going loopy and injuring themselves would be much lower....

^^^This^^^^ plus

We all know that there are parts of the racing industry that need to be addressed.

IMO there should be a limit on the amount of foals born each year to try and avoid the culls that go on each year with "sub-standard" offspring.

Race horses do not have a wonderful life the majority of the time, racing horses at 2yrs old is, whichever way you look at it, wrong. They are not developed mentally or physically and the only reason i can see for them racing at that age is money. They are kept stabled all the time and put under massive pressure to perform, i have worked on some young race horses and the injuries that are missed is shocking, especially when considering these are with the top trainers in the country.

(A study was done some years ago and over 90% of racehorses had ulcers)

I do not think that the whip should be banned but i do believe that the jockeys should not be allowed to use the whip after the final fence or the last X amount of distance, a jockeys job is to "ride" a finish, not whip one out of the horse.

I also think the racing industry need to be held more accountable for the horses coming out of racing and should fund projects like ROR to help these magnificent animals to have a life after the race track.

I would never ever ever want to see racing banned, the speed, agility, grace and sheer majestic quality of these horses is something that no other breed can ever come close to.

And i agree with the other poster who pointed out the abuse meeted out to competition horses, it is disgusting and the reason i am no longer a competition groom. Unfortunately because this goes on behind closed doors the public dont get to see it :mad: