Used IW trailer with "new" wooden floor: would you buy??

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As title really.......

Have just been tagged in a really nice little Single horse IW trailer; very do-able as not far from me and the person that's selling it are "friends of friends" on FB, not that that counts for anything, but it does give a little measure of reassurance, somehow...... I guess

Don't know how old said trailer is, BUT, but, it has a "new wooden floor" to it.

I'm a bit tempted; but can't help but be charey of a wooden floor; one hears so many horror stories.

Advice please!

WWYD.

w1bbler

Visit site
You need someone with knowldge to check its an appropriate grade / type of wood used. Fellow livery put a new wooden floor in her trailer, used untreated & not thick enough planks, only thing that saved her horse was the rubber matting ����

silv

Visit site
Years ago all trailers had wooden floors. Like the other poster said, make sure you find out that is of appropriate grade/wood, strong and has been properly done.

cavalo branco

Visit site
Just another point, if you want to sell on, it might not hold its value as well.It's quite expensive to redo a wooden floor through a trailer dealer/garage. I did it years ago and can't remember the price but it was quite an investment.

Notimetoride

Visit site
Yes I would. My Rice had a wooden floor which we replaced with buffalo board and the lorry we now have has a 21 or 22 mm buffalo board floor. Wood floors are fine if looked after, washed and allowed to dry properly, checked regularly and replaced when needed.

Equi

Visit site
All my trailers have had wooden floors but I then put aluminium sheeting over the top. I replace them quiet frequently but then I’m paranoid and I have a joiner/engineer in the form of my dad who loves nothing more than pottering about Horse boxes!

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
If you want it for yourself to keep long term and the grade of wood is good enough, then YES I would.

But if you are thinking maybe you will change it within say a few years (when the wooden floor isn't brand brand new) then I would say no as you will have lost a fair amount of money on it.

They don't re-sell well with wooden floors in general terms, people all want floors that need no maintenance.

Leo Walker

Visit site
People think that aluminim floors are the best option, but actually there are pros and cons to both. I've done what Equi has, thick hardwood planking, sealed and sealed again, then aluminum sheeting, then mats which are sealed with a drain hole through the whole lot.