Using a double bridle for the first time?

Blizzard

Visit site
Does anyone have any advice regarding using one for the first time, I know people say dont use roundings as it defeats the object, but hubby hasnt had to cope with 2 sets of reins before!
smile.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
You can't really use roundings with a double as they are separate bits. It wouldn't work, the pressure would be completely wrong. Does the horse have to be ridden in a double?

Blizzard

Visit site
Yes its the only bit she will go well in, yes thats why I dont want to let him use the roundings, so I want to give him tips really on how to use the two sets of reins, without confusing him too much ha ha!

Weezy

Visit site
Get a rugby or normal pelham and see if that will not do the trick (wth roundings if needs be) - PLEASE do not let a double into a novice's hands, its just to risky

It is best to learn the mechanics of a double from using 2 reins on a rugby/normal pelham, thinking about what reacton you are getting from each rein

_jetset_

Visit site
To be honest you should not really be putting much pressure on the bradoon rein, tell him to concentrate on the snaffle more than anything else.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Ah I see. How about to start with, knot the curb rein so if it gets dropped or hubby gets confused it doesn't flap about, then hold then as you normally would, how ever way best suits the horse. Tis hard to start with and he will probably get tangled up to start with. Good luck.

Blizzard

Visit site
Thank you, although hubby is quite novicy he has some of the best hands Ive seen, never in all his time riding, despite learning on a loopy mare, has he yanked on the horses mouth, he is very gentle and always manages to get a horse on the bit, easier than me at times ha ha.
But yes like you said I want the horse to be comfortable.

I explained it to him as snaffle rein is like your normal car brake, other rein is your handbrake!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
The horse should be fine in a normal snaffle for the first few times. You CANNOT use roundings on a double bridle. A double bridle has two bits and therefore are totally separate in the horses mouth. A pelham can have roundings as this is just a single bit, but it is still not ideal.
Why does the horse need to wear a double?

Weezy

Visit site
So I have always thought FMM - then blow me down what did I see on Marcus Beerbaums(THINK it was hm, memory is not what it was) horse - a double wth roundngs - I was blown away!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
NO! But how can it work? The bits sit differently in the mouth. The only way it could work is if the bits are fine tuned to the nth degree and even then I can't see how (or, in fact, the point!)

Blizzard

Visit site
I totally agree, unfortunately Ive seen a few people do it!

I may suggest him trying her in a dutch gag, stopping power without the 2 reins, she isnt our horse you see, a firends huge shire mare!

x_Hannah_x

Visit site
I was thinking about that the other day- YO told me never to use a pelham and a grankle noseband if I could get away with it..a very respected horsewoman so always followed her advice.. yet always seeing people doing this
confused.gif
I guess its just how poeple do and see things differently.

If your OH has to use a double it would be a good idea to get him used to the way a double works on an experienced horse that knows its job and is slightly less forgiving, perhaps, than an inexperienced horse. I am not a fan of doubles, dont know why, just have never really taken to having so much going on in my horses mouth, its too busy. Although saying this I have competed in a double for the past 3years for various events, just try to avoid making work for myself if I can!
smile.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Nor me - studied it greatly as I thought I was wrong but no, it deffo WAS 2 mouthpieces, set up from the outside identical to a double, only with a roundng (slightly worried I had drempt it but I mentioned it to OH, just asked him if we had the convo and he has confirmed!) Thinking about it now it may not have been Marcus - wish I could remember for sure WHO it was
crazy.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nor me - studied it greatly as I thought I was wrong but no, it deffo WAS 2 mouthpieces, set up from the outside identical to a double, only with a roundng (slightly worried I had drempt it but I mentioned it to OH, just asked him if we had the convo and he has confirmed!) Thinking about it now it may not have been Marcus - wish I could remember for sure WHO it was
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember seeing a horse, SJer wearing roundings on a double, can't remember who it was, but I didn't think it was working. I thought the curb was in play far too much and before the bridoon was.

helenandshadow

Visit site
I think it was Eric Van der Vleuten, not sure though. I never thought you could use roundings with a double bridle, surely it defeats the object of having two different bits with different actions?!
crazy.gif

confused.gif

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about that the other day- YO told me never to use a pelham and a grankle noseband if I could get away with it..a very respected horsewoman so always followed her advice.. yet always seeing people doing this
confused.gif
I guess its just how poeple do and see things differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

The theory behind that is that the lower part of the grackle and the curb chain sit in a simlar position and may interact when they shouldn't.

When I was 8 or 9 I started to ride in 2 reins for showing. To be on the safe side I was taught to ride just off the top rein, with the curb rein fairly loose - this might be a good option for your OH, and essentially it will be just like riding in a snaffle with an extra rein through the hand.