Using a waterer

C1airey

Visit site
How do I teach my horse to use a waterer? I thought it would be easy. He always has a drink after you give him a Bailey’s fibre nugget, so armed with a handful, I stood by the waterer and fed them to him, each time holding my hand closer and closer to the water.

Nope. He still looked around for his bucket. It wasn’t a total failure, as he’ll now drink from my cupped hand, which is cool and will probably be useful, but it’s not quite what I was aiming for.

I don’t think I have the balls to make him go cold turkey and take away the water bucket when I know he isn’t using the waterer, so HHO, any advice?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
How big is it? and how high?
I just have normal buckets at home but my horse who has done a few away shows this year has had drinkers at some of the places we've stayed. She liked the one with a big bowl, but wouldn't touch a little one. Not very helpful but thought it was worth mentioning ;)

C1airey

Visit site
I hadn’t thought of that. It’s square(ish) and probably 20x30cm, and about 10cm deep. He does like to splash about a bit in the bucket - including sticking his whole snout in and blowing bubbles. I guess the drinker just isn’t as fun 🤷‍♀️