Using arena fence as one of my jump wings?

Fat_Pony

Visit site
I've just bought 6 jump wings and a load of poles and am quite excited! I wish I had bought more wings, but budget wouldn't stretch. I was wondering if there is any way to use the arena fence as one died of my jump, other than just balancing poles on it? Are there brackets or similar I can attach? I know you can buy the key tracks and safety cups, but the work out quite pricey

TarrSteps

Visit site
You can make brackets easily with wood using a couple of methods. One is to use a 4x4 or whatever size post (or even a pole) and drill holes for your cups then affix a hanger at the height of your fence rail (or rails to make it more stable). Depending on your fence there are various options. You can also fix straps and strap it to your posts - this is safer and more stable as less chance of breaking the fence if the horse lands on the jump but, of course, limits where you can put the jumps.

We usually made 'all in one' standards to go on the wall. Use as a plank as the back, preferably a 2x6 or wider. Get a couple of 2x2 or similar (doesn't have to be exact but more than an inch deep works best) and cut into small sections, 3 inches long or so. Measure along your board where you'll want the top of your poles to be and mark both the top and bottom of the pole diameter. Then, using two of your small strips screw (or nail in a pinch but not as safe) them in a shallow 'V' so the bottom of your pole will sit in the V. The shallower the V, the more easily the pole will roll out - 45º should work well but it doesn't have to be exact. Repeat at each measurement. Then attach hangers - you can make these out of wood, too, if you're handy - and you're good to go. Paint or stain if you're going to leave them out at all.

3bh

Visit site
I second this. An old yard used to have these and they worked really well.

I love these, on our yard we have a half dozen large oil drums, repainted into jazzy colours, and use these cups to hang poles off them - they are really good as you could use up to four cups on one barrel at right angles and use up less space/equipment to build a decent course!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
hanging wings are so easy to make I have loads! wood with holes in for the cup, and a metal hook bracket which goes over top rail of school fence. means you can build grids/doubles/combinations in a 40 by 20 with room for other fences as well!