Using curb strap on elevators and universals...

Jellymoon

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows if one needs to use one and what action it would have? Would it make the action stronger, or less strong? I guess it limits the curb action but in turn puts an additional pressure on the curb area.
I know in the US, where these type of shanked bits are very commonly used for western riding, most people wouldn’t consider using one without. Apparently, if you don’t have one, the bit can rotate in the month in an uncomfortable way.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows if one needs to use one and what action it would have? Would it make the action stronger, or less strong? I guess it limits the curb action but in turn puts an additional pressure on the curb area.
I know in the US, where these type of shanked bits are very commonly used for western riding, most people wouldn’t consider using one without. Apparently, if you don’t have one, the bit can rotate in the month in an uncomfortable way.

I used a NS Universal with a curb strap and 2 reins, as you say the bit can rotate without the strap, I used to have it adjusted quite loosely.