Using domosedan gel to prevent stress when hunt meets at yard?!

shadowboy

Visit site
I have a problem in that the local hunt are meeting at my yard on sat. My youngster will get quite stressed by this (I know as it happened at a previous yard- lets just say the best description was 'climbing walls'. As I don't know which direction they will go I can't really hack him out to get him out the way and I don't have transport so I was going to use a sedative (vet has agreed as a safety precaution as we don't have too doors on the stables so I'm worried about him getting out.has anyone used the gel? Is it effective? How long is it likely to last? I know I need to give it to him 40 min before they start to arrive but in all likelihood it will be 45-1 hour before they leave so ideally I need it to last an hour...

{97702}

Visit site
I used domosedan when my TB was clipped - as he tends to spit everything out vigorously it was difficult to tell how much he had had, so I ended up using a whole tube! He was absolutely wiped out by it, to the extent that the lady clipping him was very worried - he is a hot little horse anyway but he had sweat rolling down his neck after 30 mins or so, like he had been on the gallops, and he didn't come round properly for about 3 hours after I had dosed him.

TBH I wouldn't use it again for him, it is definitely effective but for my particular horse I don't like the effect it has

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Can you get a grid for the top stable door by Saturday? I've no experience of Domesodan, but my mare would be straight out over the stable door when the hunt are around if I didn't have a grille in place.

I've used Sedalin before, but I'd still want to have a grid or grille across the door.

shadowboy

Visit site
Can you get a grid for the top stable door by Saturday? I've no experience of Domesodan, but my mare would be straight out over the stable door when the hunt are around if I didn't have a grille in place.

I've used Sedalin before, but I'd still want to have a grid or grille across the door.
Sadly not they have a kind of scalloped shape to them so there is nothing to attach the grille to. I'm pretty stuck :(

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think it's absolutely brilliant stuff. I find its best given slightly longer than the recommended 40 minutes.
It makes my totally dangerous to shoe horse easy and safe for all concerned!
It's a million times better than Sedalin and I'd say very comparable to IV dope.

Liane

Visit site
Yes I used it on a horse that needed clipping quickly and was bad to clip, it definitely took longer than the time it said it took to work (I thought it hadn't worked), probably another 20min but then it really knocked him out.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ooh crikey what a nightmare. I feel for you OP, my horse would be over the door in a shot in similar circumstances but I do have a top door grille.
I wouldn't want to be trialling something new *on the day* though. My horse had a terrifying adverse reaction to IV domosedan and will never have it again so I'm always a little suspicious of things like this (though I know it is used routinely all over the place and it was a very rare event).

Do you have any friends with transport who could pick you up?

shadowboy

Visit site
Sadly not - my trainer is competing and one of my friends with a trailer is hunting so I'm stuck. Really hoping that some gel and a radio with classical music will be enough to keep the sounds of hounds and strange horses to a stress free level!

Michen

Visit site
Contact the hunt and ask them of their route and then go for a long hack the other way? It's meant to be a glorious day.

Kat

Visit site
Tack up and join in! Far less stressful! Mine would also climb the walls on the same situation but would be an angel if I tacked up and went with.