Using Sedalin on a very old horse.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
My 34 year old gelding needs his sheath cleaning and he is rather grumpy and kicks a lot when I try to get near it. The vet has done it in the past (under sedation) but I wonder if using Sedalin and trying myself would be worth a try. Just wondering if anyone has used it on very old horses, and if there are any risks associated with using it. Clearly given his age I'd rather not sedate him in any way but he really needs to be looked at.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
My horse is 33 and I sedate him to turn out if he's been in any length of time he thinks he's 3, so for his own safety I sedate him with sedaline.

I wanted to clean his sheath once and the vet said to give him sedaline but it didn't work, tried him again and still didnt drop it, I ended up getting water readly, just water no sheath cleaner, my vet said not to use it as if effects their ph balance, clean sponge and when I came back from a ride, he usually wants a wee so got him then, glad to say he doesn't kick so I was ok without the sedaline, I was only using it to get his oojimawatsit to drop.

You could try it and if it doesn't work you might have to get him IV sedated