Using your own horse at your wedding?

Blizzard

Visit site
Can this be done?

My mare is a very experienced driving horse, it was her 'job' for 6 years, and I would love to have her as the horse pulling the carriage when I get married, has anyone ever done this and is it possible?
smile.gif
RIMG00171.jpg

tuscanyD

Visit site
Don't know about driving - but I did go to a friend's wedding and her chestnut gelding and Jack Russels turned up, all flowered up, as star guests! [outside]
Lots of photos etc then off they went

You need a trusted friend or two to deal with the horse to take the worry away from you on your big day. But I guess if you have the equipment and test her out on a dry run first - why not? Bet loads of people do it. I always fancied turning up sidesaddle on my mare. [only drawback is don't have a sidesaddle and never tried it!]

Blizzard

Visit site
Aww that sounds fab!

We have a St Bernard and a Lab too, LOL I can just see it now, mare as maid of honour, gelding as best man and dogs as pageboys!

I just think it would make the day so much more special to have her there and then in the piccys!

Gingernags

Visit site
I keep insisting that if I get married I'm driving myself there with my own horse!

She's almost broken to harness, just saving up for a decent trap as the one I have is too small. I've advertised it but no-one seems to want it and I can't justify having two!

Claireg9

Visit site
Yes of course you can!
I would like my girl to do that but as she has never been broken to harness id like to come in a professional horse and cart with my girl being lead infront of the trap with ribbons in her plates and in her tail looking all shiny and white!
I sore a friend do this once with her palomino!

Blizzard

Visit site
Aww fab!

so woudl I need to hire a company to do it do you think, so the carriage is all posh and decked out, or beg and borrow a nice trp from someone and ask them to drive her?

she will probably try and follow me into the church LOL

miamibear

Visit site
Absolutely definately!!

My horse turned up at my wedding ridden by a friend all done up. I also had my grandads horse and carriage (he passed away) which was lovely!

My friend rode her horse to the church like a fairytale big white dress draped over the back of it!!

Go for it, you wont regret it!!
grin.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
My friend got her mare broken to harness for her wedding. She hired a carriage and the guy she hired it from drove her horse to and from the church. I pretty sure her mare stayed with him for a few days so she had chance to get used to him and the carriage before the big day.

sojeph

Visit site
Definitely possible. When my boss was due to marry we secretly broke in his wife to be's horse to harness. While they were being married I drove her horse to the church so he was waiting for her as she came out. My (then) boss drove his wife to their reception
grin.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
oh wow that is so romantic!

ooh will have to seriously look into it now!

already told Other half if he annoys me he wil be getting our black gelding as his funeral horse!

seaview

Visit site
My matron of honour organised my mare to be there for the pictures as a suprise!
It was soooo nice to have her there and the pictures turned out gorgeous this is my favourite
NatalieApril.jpg

smile.gif

nat

seaview

Visit site
I have had the mare for 11 years and she is truely the most special horse, (which I know most people will say about theri horses) but she just knows me soo well!
My matron of honour just knew that if she was there it would make my day, she was very good and dint sneeze at me LOL
When are you getting married I can put a picture of the horse and carriage too if you want to nosey?
Nat
x

dieseldog

Visit site
On the other hand you could end up with a donkey cart held together by baler twine!!

They did put balloons on the back which burst as we passed the thorn trees and caused the donkeys bolt off...

IMG_7099.jpg

equibabe20

Visit site
A friend of mine has recently just got married and she rode her horse to her wedding side saddle!! I think she had to have a few lessons to learn how to do it properly and organise the tack for her horse but she looked lovely. I would definatly get married on mine!

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can this be done?

My mare is a very experienced driving horse, it was her 'job' for 6 years, and I would love to have her as the horse pulling the carriage when I get married, has anyone ever done this and is it possible?
smile.gif
RIMG00171.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not phone around some local carriage companies? you may be able to loan the driver and a carriage, and it saves them a lot of time and money on taking the horses out as well!

Theresa_F

Visit site
This is our wedding. Cairo was best horse and Jemima mare of honour.

I have been married twice, and rode my old TB side saddle to that one.

If you have a dependable horse, go for it. My OH was very insistent that the horses were there for ours. Instead of bowls of favors on the tables we had bowls of minty cubes and the horses had a fantastic day and for us, made our wedding perfect.

AandT.jpg

Vey

Visit site
I drove my daughter to her wedding (complete with my over large Bride's mother's hat!) and a friend of hers sat on the box while her boyfriend ('He does not drive like me, but he shows bulls - he'll be fine!) stood groom. Then daughter drove the new hubby away! That caused some comment of course
wink.gif

Love and love your wedding picture.