Utopia to be sold at Auction with no reserve..

Circe

Visit site
I saw on his facebook page that he was very upset about it, and is trying to find a solution where he can keep Uthopia.
He has asked people not to give to a fund to buy him.
I really hope he is able to keep him, and give him the retirement he deserves.
Kx

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't understand all the hoo ha tbh, or the willingness of people to contribute to gofundme pages arranged by random people who could easily just do a flit with the money! And that is before we get started on the lottery funding suggestion.
I am sure if Carl wishes to buy him he is perfectly capable arranging funding himself.

TGM

Visit site
I think much of the concern is not just that the horse is up for sale, but that he is to be sold 'at auction', which makes people think that he will just be sold to the highest bidder without any consideration for whether the home is right for him. I suppose they have visions of him going through the ring at one of the dead end sale rings!

But I do agree the gofundme bit beggars belief!

Sleighfarer

Visit site
I think much of the concern is not just that the horse is up for sale, but that he is to be sold 'at auction', which makes people think that he will just be sold to the highest bidder without any consideration for whether the home is right for him. I suppose they have visions of him going through the ring at one of the dead end sale rings!

But I do agree the gofundme bit beggars belief!

But isn't that exactly what is going to happen? He's not going to be sold at a horse auction - he is going to be sold along with the sports cars and trinkets, to the highest bidder..

TGM

Visit site
But isn't that exactly what is going to happen? He's not going to be sold at a horse auction - he is going to be sold along with the sports cars and trinkets, to the highest bidder..

I have no idea what form the auction will take and whether there will be any safeguards for the horse's welfare put in place. Like most people on here I have only read the brief statement that has been published. The point of my post was to highlight exactly why people felt emotive about the issue.

WandaMare

Visit site
I think that it is very sweet that people offered funding to help Carl, I know he has said not to now anyway but it was very kind of people to offer their help and support so willingly.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I don't understand all the hoo ha tbh, or the willingness of people to contribute to gofundme pages arranged by random people who could easily just do a flit with the money! And that is before we get started on the lottery funding suggestion.
I am sure if Carl wishes to buy him he is perfectly capable arranging funding himself.

I tend to agree. The horse stood for a fee of £1500, it will be a while before any progeny prove themselves to be top class. Most stallions are a grand age before their progeny hit real heights. The horse is 15 years old and apparently has health issues. If a purchaser wanted to buy him as a top flight competition horse it would be a very short lived exercise, even if the horse could return to top level and do all the travelling required of international dressage horses. Aimed at the next games the horse will be 19. A wise buyer will realise every inch of greatness had already been milked out of the horse by Carl. The horse has had his day and any progression will be downwards as his age and issues climb.

Realistically what is he actually worth ? I don't think he is worth a figure that is not within what Carl and his backers could buy him for if they wanted to give him a home for life and stand him at stud. He was, and that is the crucial word, was a top dressage horse, he is now an ageing stallion that might be able to make a short lived return to competition. He is not Frankel.

He will get a decent home, he is not going through Beeston. It will be interesting to see what he goes for, if it is made public. I bet it won't be a much as some people think it will be.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think that it is very sweet that people offered funding to help Carl, I know he has said not to now anyway but it was very kind of people to offer their help and support so willingly.
But when that support is monetary and going into gofundmes owned by random and potentially unscrupulous people?

case895

Visit site
I have no idea what form the auction will take and whether there will be any safeguards for the horse's welfare put in place. Like most people on here I have only read the brief statement that has been published. The point of my post was to highlight exactly why people felt emotive about the issue.

Horse auctions take place all over the place most weeks. The only difference is that this one involves a well known horse.

WandaMare

Visit site
But when that support is monetary and going into gofundmes owned by random and potentially unscrupulous people?

Whether it was right to offer money is a different point, I was just saying it was a very kind gesture of people to try and help.

JANANI

Visit site
I wonder will he be ridden around Mallusk lol. Might go up for a nosy. At the end of the day the horse will be mega bucks and will end up with a good home. The people I feel sorry for is the creditors who have been waiting a long time for this.

popsdosh

Visit site
I wonder will he be ridden around Mallusk lol. Might go up for a nosy. At the end of the day the horse will be mega bucks and will end up with a good home. The people I feel sorry for is the creditors who have been waiting a long time for this.

I will be very surprised if he is actually present at the sale as I dont think the auctioneers will feel it nescessary. I suspect CH may already been given the option to buy him with a bit more cooperation. There is more to this story than a lot are aware of I am sure. Im sure it will come out one day.

FubsyMog

Visit site
I wonder will he be ridden around Mallusk lol. Might go up for a nosy. .

From what I can discern, he won't be present - the thought did cross my mind when I saw where it was! I had thought of going up for a nosy as well, but I'm not sure whether you can do that for the prestige auctions? It wasn't that clear from the website, but it said you have to leave a deposit of £500 just to register as a potential bidder - not sure whether you have to be a bidder to attend. You don't for the other auctions they run, but not sure if the prestige ones are different.

JANANI

Visit site
the moral of the story is if your bankrupt don't attempt to hide your assets as it will it bite you in the arse!

Ps I was being sarky when I said about him being ridden around Mallusk

popsdosh

Visit site
the moral of the story is if your bankrupt don't attempt to hide your assets as it will it bite you in the arse!

Ps I was being sarky when I said about him being ridden around Mallusk

Yes and dont become part of it either.

Nicnac

Visit site
Fascinating article in H&H about his value which comes out at about £228k when calculated using economics. I think some people really overrated his value as were doing it using emotion rather than facts. Adorable Alice was absolutely right and the article reflects some of the points she made higher up in this thread well before article was published.

Auction will be live via H&H home page from 6pm tonight but no idea what time Uti will go under the hammer - assume he's not there!

Damnation

Visit site
Fascinating article in H&H about his value which comes out at about £228k when calculated using economics. I think some people really overrated his value as were doing it using emotion rather than facts. Adorable Alice was absolutely right and the article reflects some of the points she made higher up in this thread well before article was published.

Auction will be live via H&H home page from 6pm tonight but no idea what time Uti will go under the hammer - assume he's not there!

No Uti will be at Carl's yard, he won't be appearing live at the auction!

AA and the article did use some very good points.. fascinating to think of it like that!

Sleighfarer

Visit site
Although I take Alice's points on the economics of it, the sort of people who will want to buy him don't have to worry too much about that. It's nice of H&H to do its bit trying to put buyers off, but a market is a market. If I were a Russian oligarch or Chinese billionaire wanting to propel my daughter on to the world dressage stage I wouldn't be too concerned about the cost.

Nor am I convinced about the 'health issues'. I think these are likely to be chronic conditions that need managing rather than him being broken down. Uti won an international class at Olympia a mere five months ago and was all set to go to the World Cup in the spring until the ownership dispute put a stop to it. It seems fairly clear that he was being got ready to be Charlotte's reserve horse for Rio, which hardly makes him washed up. No, he won't make the next Olympics, but he's got a good couple of years left in him, I would have thought.

It will be nail biting, though. I really hope Carl can keep him.

popsdosh

Visit site
The health issues are being well over played ,what misinformation would you put about if you were trying to buy him cheap! Its not like he is being sold by an owner Carl needs to support. I feel sorry for the creditors im afraid as everybody is trying to talk his value down and they lose out. Why do you think their in this mess to start with ,he could have been sold ages ago when worth more apart from the challenges thrown in to try to deceive the authorities.

Damnation

Visit site
Well whatever the outcome, I just hope it is what is best for the horse. If Carl cannot keep Uti, I hope that whoever gets him will continue to provide him with the standard of care and horsemanship this horse is used to.