Utter Disaster.

Skhosu

Visit site
Sh!t. Got new horse home on loan last night for mum, very quiet and all, pottered round the school for ten minutes then let him out. He trotted up the field and lay down, nothing unusual in tht really. Had moved this morning, then moved again before we left for the event, seemed perky enough.
Got home to discover he wouldn't get up, called the vet who diagnosed severe colic and he was dying.
Poor boy had to be put down. Absoloutely devestated as he was perfect and owner is a friend of ours and we were really happy and feeling lucky to get him...ugh....
Poor boy, though vet said he wouldn't have survived the journey down south in all liklihood to be operated on and his owner agreed, as did we. He was ready to go. Words cannot describe how I feel.

ruscara

Visit site
Oh, that is devastating. What an awful shock for everyone concerned, and poor horse. There was no way you could have known, so please don't blame yourselves. It is so sad.

eekmon

Visit site
OMG! How awful, its a nightmare you wouldn't wish on anyone!
frown.gif
Poor you and your Mum and the owners! Don't quite know what else to say, except how sorry I feel for all concerned.

Skhosu

Visit site
Thanks guys, I just feel so bad, you know? I know we can't be there every moment but I just hope he wasn't in pain for too long, and he had a good life and was windsucker and cribber and had evented to a serious level so eventually chances were he would colic but it's so sad he died with strange people and was alone all day. Just welling up thinking of him, and he was so sweet..

pocket

Visit site
God thats so horrible, I am so sorry for you, the owner and of course the horse. My thoughs are with you x

calon

Visit site
how awful i know how you all feel i loaned a pony once and he did same thing awful for all concerned chin up

Skhosu

Visit site
Thanks guys for all the kind words. Having thought over his behaviour we now believe the travelling *may* have caused it as he was dull to ride (nothing more than a fat unfit horse normally is but..) and very tired afterwards. I am just devestated we didn't look closer at him in the morning as whilst a lying down horse is normal and he had moved from last night, we just assumed he was old and so lay down more but we should have checked.
The outcome would probably have been the same, and maybe it was his time but I still feel guilty.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Im so sorry to hear of your sad news, i know exactly what you are going through at the moment as i lost one of mine very suddenly to colic last easter, my thoughts are with you at this dreadful time!! If you need to talk anytime just PM me....