Utterly Stumped!

Goldiefox

New User
Visit site
Bit of an odd one but basically I have started being physically sick when in canter in lessons ?‍♀️ I wondered if anybody else had ever experienced anything like it? I am totally fine in trot and am ok in canter on hacks, but in the school I will physically throw up after a few minutes and it is EXTREMELY embarrassing and frustrating. I am a very experienced rider and have ridden all my life. I was totally fine until I took a bit over the xmas holidays off and then this started up suddenly. I have been checked out by docs and for ear infections etc and all seems A1, It's not a nerve thing or breath holding and it seems to start it off by turning (like corners in the arena and circles) if I go in a straight line I'm fine. I am near the end of my tether with it and it's got to the point of making me not want to ride as it's rather horrid ? I wondered if anyone else has ever had anything similar? Sorry for long post x

smolmaus

Visit site
My first thought was also ear-related. Even if you don't have an ear infection you can still have something funky going on further inside your ear canal. Would GP be willing to refer to an ENT?

Goldiefox

New User
Visit site
They didn't come up with that but think as I have no like sounds from the ear or other telling symptoms they have pretty much dismissed anything to do with it being the cause x

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Are you keeping your eyes fixed on particular points as you canter around? Or is everything blurring past you? Does your horse have a rocky canter?
I had a horse that made me want to throw up at canter, even on a straight line...it was like motion sickness. Eventually it sorted out, either I got used to it or he started cantering more smoothly.

Goldiefox

New User
Visit site
Are you keeping your eyes fixed on particular points as you canter around? Or is everything blurring past you? Does your horse have a rocky canter?
I had a horse that made me want to throw up at canter, even on a straight line...it was like motion sickness. Eventually it sorted out, either I got used to it or he started cantering more smoothly.
I haven't noticed myself pinpointing my vision, I will look at a jump line etc but nothing out of the ordinary. Definitely not blurring past though x It happens on different horses which is a pain in the back as I was hoping that too x

Trules

Visit site
Hi. I am an instructor and have had a few clients who have had feelings of nausea and had to abandon the lesson. One lady had suffered with vertigo and the motion of going round in circles flared it up. She was fine going large around the arena but on the lunge felt immediately sick. So in her case it was certainly an inner ear issue. X

Lammy

Visit site
Someone I used to ride with when we were children had an inner ear imbalance issue which meant she fell off when cantering round corders in the school. I’d investigate more into the inner ear if I were you.
Have you had a head injury or anything recently?

Archangel

Visit site
I was going to say labyrinthitis.

Does the school have post and rail fencing or anything that you pass that causes a flicker in your vision. I had to wear sunglasses when riding for a while as cantering with the sun shining through trees would also set it off.

You could try taking a travel sickness tablet before riding - although they make me a so sleepy I would probably slide off the horse.

Flicker

Visit site
Ah wonder if it is an inner ear thing. Vertigo / labyrinthitis is a very weird sensation and you get terribly nauseated.

Would you trust your horse to canter with your eyes shut? And see if that makes it worse or better?

Goldiefox

New User
Visit site
Thanks all I will go back to docs when the current situation subsides and ask to rebook at my ears ? Haha no way on the pregnant side though ? ?

J&S

Visit site
I am going to suggest breathing. I used to get terribly sick and faint schooling a young horse in the indoor school. I would have to get off and sit in a corner! Instructor and I put it down to sheer tension/holding breath/trying hard to focus. I would also get it for the first round of a show jumping competition, but NOT for the jump off.

Trouper

Visit site
I can get this when doing certain pilates exercises, or just sit-ups or some work in the pool. Migraines always start with visual disturbances too and I am sure it is all eye/ear related when the nausea kicks in. I do find focusing on a single distant object helps but I would certainly ask for further investigations when life resumes some normality again.

D66

Visit site
Have you heard of or tried the Epley Maneuver - It's a series of movements that can cure vertigo.
Youtube will show you how, but it is easier if you have someone to read out the instructions and help you keep your head still when required.
It is free and simple to do, non invasive and might help.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I agree ref inner ear - I had a low grade inner ear infection years ago that made me feel very nauseous when riding.

However, just wanted to add this to the mix - my mum pulled a muscle deep in her neck and if she tweaked it - or even just by turning her head around too quickly, bam, she vommitted!

Poor mum, but the physio treated her and it got better quite quickly. Just a thought in case you've recently injured your neck that might be causing your symptoms.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Have you heard of or tried the Epley Maneuver - It's a series of movements that can cure vertigo.
Youtube will show you how, but it is easier if you have someone to read out the instructions and help you keep your head still when required.
It is free and simple to do, non invasive and might help.

I have sufferred from post viral vertigo on a couple of occasions and my GP warned me that if you do the Epley Manouver incorrectly you can cause serious damage and it should only really be done with medical supervision .
If it is vertigo or inner ear issues causing your nausea I would have thought that you would experience it at other times ie if you turn around or lift/move your head quickly/suddenly . If it's more of a motion sickness thing you can buy a rubber wristband that has a pressure point on the inner wrist and works along acupuncture principles , which is supposed to be highly effective .
It could just be a case of trying to gradually get yourself accustomed to the movement - many of the celebs on Strictly Come Dancing complain that they experience feelings of dizziness and nausea in dances where they are required to spin repetitively , until they get used to it !