Uvéitus which transformed into a iris mélonoma?

marotelle

Visit site
Hi;
I don't often post, but have been confronted with a problem which I have difficulties dealing with.
Firstly I live in Belgium, and my English is somewhat rusty, so please bear with my many spelling oddities!
I own a 8year old Jack Russel, she is part of a pack of six dogs;
Three jacks and Three Bavarian(scent) bloodhounds,These are active, healthy and working
dogs.They are all fully vaccinated,wormed and well fed dogs.They live on a farm with diverse
animals,chicken,sheep,horses and the odd cat that is foolish enough to wander around...They
come often with us, to the south of France where they are equiped with special collars to deal with ticks and other unpleasant insects frequently encountered there....
The little bitch started showing odd symptons last september,going off her food,no longer chasing the stable rats,not wishing to go on walk etc.We had three sets of bloods taken from september up to march,all showed nothing at all,yet the little dog was getting more and more lethargic and autistic towards the other dogs and myself.
In march she got an eye infection,she was very sore and no sooner one eye got better that we would have to start treating the other one.She was on heavy doses of anti inflamatories,anti biotics and various eye solutions as well of false teardrops as she no longer produced enough of her own.By this time I was obliged to have her admitted to the Liège
university clinick,she was put in ICU as she had develloped^pneumonia and a heart murmer.
She develloped Uvéitus on both eyes and had to undergo painful injections to relieve the high tension in her eyes.She was vaguely diagonised with toxoplasmoses,leptospirose and lyme desease(although her blood results never fully confirmed this as they were border line).
By this time ,I wanted to stop this as I considered that she had suffered enough.
They convinced me otherwise. As she began to inprove. she slowly gained weight,amazingly
she had not lost her sight,although she remains sensitive to sunlight , her 'joie de vivre'
has certainly returned, much to the regret of our small local furry stable inmates!
Last week I returned for a check up ,I had noticed that the contour of her Iris had developped a strange discoloration, she does not seem to suffer, and yet they tell me it is a
melonoma of the iris,they don't seem to know what to do and simply gave me a further rendez vous for July....
I was wondering if there are any vets on the forum who have encountered this problem, and
whould know what I can expect will happen next?
As both eyes are involved ,removing one is not the solution,she does NOT seem to suffer any pain but I have no idea what to do next.
I am sorry this is so long and hasten to say that the care the little dog was given in Liège was excellent,I nonetheless don't wish her to become their 'guinea pig'.Thank you all if you have had the courage to read this far!