Vaccinate and sedate for teeth on same visit?

Cragrat

Visit site
As title, would you, or not? Experiences please:)

Vaccination would be flu and tet, 3rd booster. Teeth is because he needs a bit more than than the usual tidy up, and the dentist would prefer him sedated for it - said it would less traumatic for them both! No extractions or anything major though (at least I hope not!).

Cragrat

Visit site
Thank you all! As you say, saves a visit fee:). Also, I normally give the horse a day off work after either, so it means only missed day. And I only need one day off too.

Visit site
Do the vacc after teeth so the sedation is past its full force. There is a theory that the vaccine will sweat out through the skin hence why people dont ride after.

Just how I'd do it.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Our 6 had their teeth done last week, and 2 of them had vaccinations as well. None of them needed sedating though, even with the power rasp. When my pony is sedated for clipping, if a vaccination is also due she'll be given that first, and then be sedated.

Works fine.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Total opposite here EquiEquuestrian556
When we sedate for clipping or teeth we always do sedation, then any vacc that needs doing is done after (as vet has to be around in case sedation needs topping up). Vet wont do it the other way (as EKW also mentions)

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Total opposite here EquiEquuestrian556
When we sedate for clipping or teeth we always do sedation, then any vacc that needs doing is done after (as vet has to be around in case sedation needs topping up). Vet wont do it the other way (as EKW also mentions)

Interesting to see how other vets/ owners do it. That's how we've always done it, and we've never had a problem.

Auslander

Visit site
I try to avoid sedating at the same time as vaccinating, just in case they sweat from the sedation, but if I had to , Id get the sedation done first, then the vaccination once the initial sedation had worn off a bit

One of the signs of a bad reaction to a vaccine is sweating, which is why I prefer not to have sedation at the same time, so that I don't just shrug off sweating as a sedation reaction

Last edited:

Spotsrock

Visit site
Every summer for the big mans teeth, saves duplicate call out. He has a tidy up in winter unsedated and a proper thorough sedated sort out in summer.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Used to do this with our gelding. The vet always injected first and then sedated him for teeth and left, never sweated, never had any problems. Nowadays the vet does his teeth too without power tools and he doesn't need sedation anymore. I quite miss it, I used to really thin his mane out while he was under!

joelb

Visit site
Always as mine has to be sedated for teeth. Can't imagine why anyone wouldn't combine routine stuff, always something else to buy with the saved call out fee.