vaccination against horse hair allergy?

lme

Visit site
One of my daughters gave up riding a few years ago due to a severe allergy. If she comes into contact with horse hair, she gets what looks like nettle rash and her throat constricts. I'm sure I saw a thread on here where someone mentioned getting a vaccination against a similar allergy but can't find it. She would really like to find a treatment that works because a) she's coming home from uni for the summer & our house is not exactly a 'horse hair free zone' and b) she'd like to ride while she's home. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Consult your doctor. Years ago a friend of mine wanted to be a pilot but he suffered from Hay Fever plus some allergies which would have stopped him achieving this. He under went various tests & had some injections & in the end he joined the RAF as a pilot & progressed well. He retired a few years ago, still has his wings & achieved the rank of Air Commodore, so these things can be treated. :)

lme

Visit site
Consult your doctor. Years ago a friend of mine wanted to be a pilot but he suffered from Hay Fever plus some allergies which would have stopped him achieving this. He under went various tests & had some injections & in the end he joined the RAF as a pilot & progressed well. He retired a few years ago, still has his wings & achieved the rank of Air Commodore, so these things can be treated. :)

We did that a while ago & her (less than helpful) GP has simply suggested piriton which was pretty useless. I'd prefer her to go in armed with information so she doesn't get fobbed off.

Gracie21

Visit site
I will follow this with interest. My horse allergies are getting worse. Currently on loratidine(Sp?) full time, which stops me sneezing and coughing so much and stops the rashing from hurting, but they still come up, ESPECIALLY if I touch horse saliva.

The dr also told me I'd just have to grin & bare it or give up as it's likely to end up with me having a severe allergic reaction one day!

FionaM12

Visit site
My horse allergy was not treatable, although it was some years ago. Originally I'd had a course of some sort of de-sensitizing injections (it was 40 years ago :rolleyes:) which made no difference. My allergy became life-threatening, I'd be rushed into intensive care.

Because I had "brittle" asthma by my twenties and the allergies were so severe, they wouldn't even attempt further desensitizing treatment. they said that involves traces of the allergen and if your allergy is very acute, that would be dangerous.

So I just had to avoid horses :(for three decades. However over the years the allergies have faded, the asthma is much improved and the treatment came out of the dark ages, so I can ride again now. :)

mulledwhine

Visit site
I am allergic as well :( Bain of my life, I have found the injections to be less than helpfull so here is a list of what I am on :) .....

Fexofenadine 180 mg
Sodium cromoglicate eye drops
Beconase

Also take many inhalers and asthma pills , and all these taken daily every day of the year, lessen my symptoms , good luck :)

Spanish Eyes

Visit site
When I was a child I was terribly allergic to horses, but would battle on with streaming eyes, and arms all covered in red lumps. It was worse if I groomed in the stable.

The GP said I was allergic to the dander in the coat rather than the horse hair. At that time there wasn't much available, but I had a beconase nasal spray which made things bearable.

I stopped riding for a couple of years, then went back to stables where the horses lived out, and were groomed for you. Allergy wasn't so bad.

Now in my forties, I have no symptoms at all, although I don't over-groom;)

Just wanted to wish your daughter the best of luck. I'm sure that treatment has improved over the years - push your GP more.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I have found that if I completely immerse myself and put up with some discomfort for a couple of weeks, my body develops it's own 'immunity' (not really the right word, but I can't think of it atm)

I am allergic to strange horses, dogs and cats but not my own ones. When we bought our first puppy, I was an absolute state for about 2 weeks. My eczema and asthma flared up. My throat and eyes were raw, but after 2 weeks my body 'got over it' and I am no longer allergic to my dog. It also takes me about 2 weeks to cope with a new horse without having to use an antihistamine tablet.

I can't walk onto a strange yard without getting a really itchy throat and eyes. When I compete, I try to avoid going near strange horses, but I sometimes get symptoms in the lorry parks (must be peoples hay, strange horses being groomed or sweating?).

Spottyappy

Visit site
Google "oxyhives" . My daughter has multiple allergies,and an autoimmune condition which brings her out in facial swelling. It treats much more than "just" hives.
We have to import it from the USA as it doesn't seem to be available here,but it is fantastic. Works really well for my daughter.

mandwhy

Visit site
That is rubbish, I am allergic to basically everything except horses (I think they make my eyes itch but it's probably all the hay and general dust really)!! I had to have my rabbit go live with my parents :-( I shall follow this thread as well as it wouldn't surprise me if I get really allergic one day.

Probably immunotherapy injections would be the answer but you have to go REALLY regularly (like twice a week to start with gradually reducing intervals), who has the time?!

Last edited:

FionaM12

Visit site
That is rubbish, I am allergic to basically everything except horses (I think they make my eyes itch but it's probably all the hay and general dust really)!! I had to have my rabbit go live with my parents :-( I shall follow this thread as well as it wouldn't surprise me if I get really allergic one day.

Probably immunotherapy injections would be the answer but you have to go REALLY regularly (like twice a week to start with gradually reducing intervals), who has the time?!

Not sure what you're saying is rubbish? :confused:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Google the Airedale allergy centre, they have two centres, one in Yorkshire and one in I think Oxfordshire. They work with all sorts of allergies and intolerances, worth a try. It may be expensive though as it is not NHS these days.

MrsHutt

Visit site
My elder son is a very 'allergic' type! He gets terrible hay fever etc. When he lived at home he never suffered with any horse allergies, but now he has his own place, he has to take antihistamines before he comes round! I think he has lost the immunity he had built up. Could be that I am not so diligent about keeping the house clean these days as well?!

Good luck with it all!

lme

Visit site
My elder son is a very 'allergic' type! He gets terrible hay fever etc. When he lived at home he never suffered with any horse allergies, but now he has his own place, he has to take antihistamines before he comes round! I think he has lost the immunity he had built up. Could be that I am not so diligent about keeping the house clean these days as well?!

Good luck with it all!

Last time mine came home for a few weeks, her skin started peeling off!! She was not impressed. I will definitely suggest she looks at the suggestions people have made re injections / meds etc.

mulledwhine

Visit site
I have posted my medicine !

If I do not rake them, I get openings on the rip of my mouth, spots everywhere, can't breath, throat closes, nose bleeds, eye lids turn inside out :(

It is a little better now, but have to take the medicine every day , hope you all manage to find a releif :)

aggie

Visit site
People with allergies to horse hair/dander and saliva have had very positive results when in contact with the American Bashkir Curly horses and ponies. Their main breed charactaristic is that they are usually hypoallergenic

We had a stallion at YHL two years ago and one chap, who was highly allergic to horse saliva, allowed Warrior Lynx to lick him and he had no reaction at all.

There are only around 40-50 Bashkir Curlies around the UK but they are a growing every year and most of us who own one would be delighted if someone wanted to come and test themselves with one of our horses!

Look us up on facebook under British Curly Horse and Pony Soceity

aggie

Visit site
My one has a smooth straight coat which should have the same hypoallergenic qualities. Some people prefer the straight coats to the curlies as they do look very weird and the first question is normally "does it have Cushings"!

They are mainly curly in the winter and smooth in the summer. Some have really tight curls and some just have a wavey coat.

They have great personalities and are very low maintenance too!