vaccination question....

L&M

Visit site
Our equine vets phoned this afternoon, hugely apologetic but in a bit of a panic as 3 vets just gone down with Covid and not sure if they would be able to get out to us tomorrow to do the horses flu/tet. Fortunately we are also registered with a farm vets and they have managed to squeeze us in.

However it got me thinking, we would never not vaccinate as mix with other horses at fun rides and out hunting, but to the horses themselves, would it affect their cover if the vaccs were given was a day late?

Also would a vet allow vaccinations to be a day out, if they knew we didn't compete? We have no intentions of selling either, so not a problem that would be passed onto a new owner either.

Of course this is a question I should have put to the vets, but the poor receptionist was so stressed out I didn't want to pile anymore onto her shoulders!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine had a historical record issue, and the vet said it wouldn't affect him. However, if I wanted to take him anywhere, we had to re-start the course.

I have done so, but waited until the next one was due to start again, rather than bung more in half way through the cycle.

Cragrat

Visit site
I don't think aday here or there would make a difference, but I was told that the flu vacc starts to decline after 8 or 9 months, hence the 6 month FEI rule. I aim for 8 ish months, depending on how much competing I'm doing.

L&M

Visit site
That's great, thank you all.

My main concern would be their tetanus protection.......but logic makes me think a day out matters neither here or there.

Winters100

Visit site
As with people, exactly how long a vaccine offers protection varies between individuals. It does not just stop on a certain day, rather becomes gradually less effective. For this reason the time limits will have a buffer built in, and not getting the vaccine on time to the day will not matter in regards to protection. Whether it will affect the ability to participate in fun rides I don't know, I suppose it depends how strict they are.

L&M

Visit site
As with people, exactly how long a vaccine offers protection varies between individuals. It does not just stop on a certain day, rather becomes gradually less effective. For this reason the time limits will have a buffer built in, and not getting the vaccine on time to the day will not matter in regards to protection. Whether it will affect the ability to participate in fun rides I don't know, I suppose it depends how strict they are.

Thanks. Have never been asked for vaccs (or passport) at a fun ride, but an interesting point......

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I took a pony to the RDA national championships for a blind rider and was turned away because the vaccinations were one day out 12 years previous, before the pony was gifted to the RDA group.

The pony was still protected against flu and tetanus as the antibodies do not say today we cover you, tommorow tough poo.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My main concern would be their tetanus protection

I think there is already considerable debate about whether the tetanus interval should be 3 years not 2 and I've certainly met vets very relaxed about tetanus delayed a year.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine was covered and wasn't going to compete anywhere, but I still had them re-started as, if I were to fall ill with Covid (or anything really) some livery yards also want vaccination records, and I didn't want to limit my possibilities.

He was also listed as a rig on his passport, but isn't. It was a clerical error. I righted that (blood test and vets report) for the same reason. His passport is now squeaky clean, and he is able to go anywhere.

Reactions: Kat

Cowpony

Visit site
I always try to get mine in at least a week before it's actually due, as I'm paranoid about the vet cancelling on me and then being overdue. It's not such an issue if you get them done 6-monthly as you're always within the 12 months, but if you aren't competing that's an unnecessary faff and expense!

It's very bad luck to be picked up on a day late from years ago though! The most I've had checked is the record from one year back, and most venues don't check at all. And the ones who do just get you to take the passport to the secretary while the horses are standing on the lorry, so you could have anybody's passport :p

Annagain

Visit site
It wouldn't affect the horses (our stay at home oldies were done a week late and we're fine with that) but it would affect you if you're trying to compete. I can't speak for the the other organisations but I know BRC are very hot on checking every passport at competitions. Depending on how long ago the discrepancy was (and when you were turned away) Tiddlypom, that rule may not have affected you now. For the last few of years, as long as the first two jabs and the last 5 annual boosters are ok, any discrepancies in between can be disregarded. A friend bought a horse with a discrepancy 4 years before in his passport so she just waited until he'd had his next jab to compete at BRC stuff.