Vaccinations

TheMule

Visit site
Because horses immune systems are not the same as ours thet need the yearly vaccination. They lose immunity much, much quicker than we do.

Could you link me through to where you found this info?
The horse's immune system is pretty much the same as the human, I can't think of what you're referring to as our B and T cell memory works in precisely the same way

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I read it somewhere. A while ago. I'm sorry I don't keep a full record of my internet browsing. Suspect it was an answer to a question on Dr Ramey's Facebook page or Horse Vets Corner or similar. I was offering it up as a reason that horses get done more than we do...Eta... I posted without reference because I just assumed it was common knowledge because of whereever I read it... went for a little internet browse and couldn't find anything though so maybe you're right, maybe I'm talking shit but personally I don't buy fully into "evil vets making money" theories.

Anyway. It's Christmas. My OH has a rare 2 weeks off work. I've spent 2 months being tired and lonely and depressed so I don't fancy at this juncture getting into a referenced argument on the internet about this. Suggest you go and have a discussion with your vets and ask them for their sources. If y'all want to watch your horses die of tetanus you can go right ahead I'll take my chances with "over vaccination". Ta. 🙂

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Tetanus jabs in humans are stopped once you have had five because that is supposed to have given you lifetime immunity. I wish someone would do the research in horses, but there's no incentive for anyone to do it. It saves the NHS money, but it's is owners that pay for the horses so nobody will pay for the testing. I do non-competing horses every three years for tetanus only, and the vet, although they can't 'approve' of this interval, makes no effort whatsoever to tell me that it should be two.

be positive

Visit site
My vets will only do tet every other year, the year between they just give flu, this is standard for them and I don't see any reason to do otherwise.

I have known of 2 that died of tetanus, the first many, many years ago was definitely vaccinated but may have had an immune issue as it was the second time she got it that she was pts.
The second was a mare I had sold, again very definitely vaccinated with a full record from the start, she had a fairly minor injury while with me that didn't heal until we swabbed and changed antibiotics, maybe she had something else going on but it was not due to failing to vaccinate as her owner suggested after they lost her.
Like many things in life we can only do our best and follow the advice given by someone qualified, I think tet is probably more prevalent in some places and horses spending most of their time in direct contact with the ground will always make them more susceptible to it.

TheMule

Visit site
I read it somewhere. A while ago. I'm sorry I don't keep a full record of my internet browsing. Suspect it was an answer to a question on Dr Ramey's Facebook page or Horse Vets Corner or similar. I was offering it up as a reason that horses get done more than we do...Eta... I posted without reference because I just assumed it was common knowledge because of whereever I read it... went for a little internet browse and couldn't find anything though so maybe you're right, maybe I'm talking shit but personally I don't buy fully into "evil vets making money" theories.

Anyway. It's Christmas. My OH has a rare 2 weeks off work. I've spent 2 months being tired and lonely and depressed so I don't fancy at this juncture getting into a referenced argument on the internet about this. Suggest you go and have a discussion with your vets and ask them for their sources. If y'all want to watch your horses die of tetanus you can go right ahead I'll take my chances with "over vaccination". Ta. 🙂

Oh, mine are kept fully vaccinated, thanks.
But I have an veterinary immunology degree and was genuinely interested if what you said was true as you stated it as fact.

Pc2003

Visit site
What age can they be vaccinated for tet?
I have just had a yearling over from Ireland and I can’t see in his passport he has been done for tet?

rara007

Visit site
I’ve managed to wangle mine onto tactical annual vaccines- fei driving is summer season so a jab in April takes you until the end of November. Our brand of tet. is licensed for 3 yearly anyway. The non FEI ones get annual, the retireees tet only last year but then we did get a virus post FEI event last year that only those 3 went down with...

It’s from about 3 months you want to do Tet- if the mare is vaccinated she’ll cover it, if a bit of a dodgy story then you can use antitoxin pre vaccine.

meleeka

Visit site
Having held a young horse when it was pts with tetanus I always vaccinate for it. I don’t vaccinate for flu as mine are at home and don’t mix with others.

Nudibranch

Visit site
According to my vet, it's unlikely horses actually need a tetanus jab every two years but since that is what the manufacturers stipulate, that's how they have to do them. No drug company is going to put money into research which will most likely decrease their own sales. Nevertheless, tetanus is such an important one I would never miss it. I vaccinate for flu, which is annual because flu viruses continually mutate. It's done at the same time as their dental so doesn't cost a huge amount and is required for competing anyway, so I won't have any choice when the 3yo goes out.

Pc2003

Visit site
It’s from about 3 months you want to do Tet- if the mare is vaccinated she’ll cover it, if a bit of a dodgy story then you can use antitoxin pre vaccine.[/QUOTE]

Yes the mare was vaccinated for tet. He is 2 in May so should I aim for then? Was a lovely breeder and I’m sure he has had the best of bringing into the world so no dodgy bits

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It’s from about 3 months you want to do Tet- if the mare is vaccinated she’ll cover it, if a bit of a dodgy story then you can use antitoxin pre vaccine.

Yes the mare was vaccinated for tet. He is 2 in May so should I aim for then? Was a lovely breeder and I’m sure he has had the best of bringing into the world so no dodgy bits[/QUOTE]
If he's not got his own vacs on his passport you should start him now.