Varicous vein op in mares?

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
One of our mares started bleeding a little last year a few weeks prior to foaling but then stopped.
This year she started earlier on, it was more profuse then it stopped when she foaled a couple of weeks ago.
It's now started again with her season and the vet has suggested laser treatment, but apparently she has to travel 90 miles to Bristol and it also sounds expensive.
It isn't bleeding a huge amount but obviously any open area is an entry for infection, and we feel we probably shouldn't attempt to cover her like this.
We could AI her of course but the problem still remains.
Do we leave her empty this year and hope it heals itself?
Can it get much worse left untreated?
Do we investigate the laser costs?
If anyone knows anything about the procedure please reply, as I have been unable to source anything by googling..
Thanks.

Marchell

www.welshsporthorses.com
Doesnt really answer your question but I have a mare who started off with this problem post foaling (approx one week after a problem free foaling).

She continued to bleed for nearly three weeks post investigation and then gradually stopped. (there was sufficient blood to stain a very bushy tail and white socks). My vet advised that she would probably stop of her own accord which she eventually did.

Following year we inseminated her (to prevent the trauma of natural service). She held to first scan but then reabsorbed (reason unknown). She has since been covered by natural service with no ill effect. She did however have a small bleed post scan, which I think was caused more because she rubbed her tail.