vaulting

madeleine1

Visit site
what do people think of it?

i didnt think there was any harm is done right and carefully by people who know what they are doing but have experienced some anger about a photo i posted of my cousin doing it on my horse. thoughts?

(vaulting as in the moves on horse back not just the jumping on)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My daughter does vaulting. She loves it, I don't really see anything wrong with it- it's a job like dressage or hunting might be.
I admit I do sometimes wonder about how good it is for horses to only lunge as some vaulting horses do. The ones my daughters group currently use are spoilt rotten and do lots of other stuff aswell.

SadKen

Visit site
I don't think it's harmful if it's done correctly. Speaking of the jumping on part, I used to be quite the vaulter on in my mounted games youth. I decided to make use of the 'ol skills after 20 years away, as the fell pony I was messing about with was bareback and I couldn't be bothered to walk back to the gate. Got a really good run up, jumped, bounced off his tum and landed on my bot in a pile of nettles. He just looked round with a 'what are you doing' face. I have now retired from the world of vaulting. Kids, don't try this at home.

Tickles

Visit site
If a horse was only vaulted with then I'd be concerned about boredom/asymmetry (they lunge both ways but vaulters only compete whilst horse is going in one direction) and lack of future career.

BUT I've tried it and loved it and know horses that do that as well as English/Western/side saddle/all sorts and as part of the mix think it is fine.

Obviously they need to be larger/stronger in comparison to vaulter than they do to rider as the weight moves around more and there isn't a saddle to protect the back in the same way.

Assume they occasionally get kicked (I only wore socks when trying just in case!) but can't see many other we;fare concerns?

JustKickOn

Visit site
I've done a little bit of it in the UK and a couple of sessions of it out in Germany. Once you know the basics and what to do, it is great fun. I had done gymnastics before hand though so was a bit quicker at learning.

If done properly, it is ok for the horse I think. All the people I know who vault are wet slender too.

In Germany, a fair bit of the training is done on the floor and gymnastic hobby horse. The place I went have their vaulting horses doing normal flatwork as well at the lunging, so things were varied.

madeleine1

Visit site
the horse is wel trained in everything else and the girl on her have been doing vaulting on other horses for a long time

Pie's mum

Visit site
I used to vault as part of a team many many years ago. The horse we used was also used for normal lessons in the school and we used a tin horse to practice moves on before we did them on the real horse - so you would fudge your moves and have heavy landings on an inanimate object rather than on the horse. It was so much fun - and all that canter work is fab for your seat!