Veg in feeds?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I always chop the veggies in my boy's feed. carrots I always cut longways, apples, pears etc I also slice up to ensure he can't choke. The only time he has a whole vegetable is if I put a swede on a rope for him. It's something I've always done.

vicm2509

Visit site
I always chop my carrots longways and in half aswell. Apples I tend to chop up into about 8th's. Thats only when I put them in the feed though as he tends to eat it so fast and im not always there when he has it so i worry incase he chokes.

I do let him do some apple bobbing (put an apple in his water bucket) and I do give him whole carrots from my hand.

pagancluf

Visit site
I do carrots whole, 8th on apples and my boy likes pea pods too - and potato peel (but not from green or growing pots as these are not good), he's also taken a fancy to plums and spits the stone out afterwards!

JAK

Visit site
I am truly pathetic - I 'top & tail' carrots & cut them lengthways as well & Small White One's are cut into 'julienne' type strips 'cos her teeth aren't very good!
Apples, I cut into 6 or 8 pieces, depending on their size!

Several people at the yard prefer to slice their carrots, though I wouldn't risk it myself, yet they laugh at me for chopping the grubby ends off my carrots! (I may be daft but at least mine won't choke on them!)
crazy.gif

pottamus

Visit site
I chop my carrots up a bit lengthways because there go further that way for my greedy boy who shovels most of them up in his first mouth full!!!

Chumsmum

Visit site
Sorry if this is a stupid question.. but do you 'peel' the swedes first or is it okay for them to eat them with the 'skin' on?? Sorry if I sound an idiot!! I have been dying to ask this question for ages but was too embarressed to start a thread
blush.gif

RachelB

Visit site
I chuck Maiden the odd whole carrot or apple, or she bites half of it out of my hand.
In feeds I chop carrots into at least four lengthways, if they're long carrots I chop them across the middle as well. Maiden doesn't usually get apples in her feed but Cracks does, as she's ancient and prone to injury (she thinks she's very delicate!) I chop them in half, then in half again, then again so they are small and thin enough! I'd probably only quarter them for Maiden.
I can't believe anyone would be so stupid as to feed carrot discs to their horses!!!
My last pony loved swedes, we used to drill a hole though them and hang them from the ceiling in the stable, she loved it! We never peeled them... or anything for that matter - they would be eaten whole in the wild, wouldn't they! Nasty green carrot tops and all!

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this is a stupid question.. but do you 'peel' the swedes first or is it okay for them to eat them with the 'skin' on?? Sorry if I sound an idiot!! I have been dying to ask this question for ages but was too embarressed to start a thread
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't even know they had a skin
shocked.gif
Blonde moment! Mine just eats it, in record timing too!

Chumsmum

Visit site
The sort of outer bit that's purple at the top - is it okay for him to eat this bit? God I feel like a turnip asking this question
blush.gif

Mine goes mad for them too - put it on a string thinking it would last him a couple hours - turned round and it was gone
grin.gif

CJ1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
blush.gif
I peel the purple bit off swede's, top and tail carrots and remove the core from sliced apples
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

good lord, im not giving time to do more than "break,chop, chop, throw intub" before the look of FEED ME MOTHER!!

who gets the trimmings from your horses veg then? the pony or the goat?
smile.gif