VEG OIL & SULPHUR??

liveryblues

Visit site
Can anyone think of a valid reason why veg oil & sulphur would not work?
The only reason I am asking is with pig oil costing nearly £25 for 4.5 ltrs and veg oil only £4, it would certainly save a few pennies!
Am I missing something glaringly obvious? or would it work in a similar manner?
It is only to protect my poor neddies legs as they live out and it is SO wet atm.
Input much appreciated :)

badgerdog

Visit site
I've used veg oil in the past and I found it a bit thick. I normally use shop's own make baby oil as it's quite cheap. I've never mixed it with sulphur before, I've just used it by itself to waterproof the legs.

Jingleballs

Visit site
That's what I use as pig oil is so expensive now.

Baby oil also works but I can never find any large bottles of it so I just buy the largest bottle of veg oil and it lasts me a few weeks.

liveryblues

Visit site
thanks badgerdog, I hadnt given baby oil a thought! I am sure its probably closer to pig oil in make up than veg oil :) same colour & consistency for a start.
I only add the sulphur in summer as two of mine attract mites, its fab at sorting them out.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Vegetable oil or baby oil work just fine. A while back, someone posted about using Tesco baby oil. If I remember correctly, it's supposed to be quite inexpensive compared to the more popular brands.

You could contact www.shireoil.co.uk. They are Heavy Horse Leg Oil Supplies. They have many different products for feathery-legged horses. Their newest one is Leg Oil Paste. I haven't tried it yet, but it's "Designed for the winter months. Stays in longer, conditions hair."
Telephone: 01904 728430. Mobile: 07836 606893.